Chapter FORTY SIX

Mikki De'lucca 

After discussing the details and terms of the non-disclosure agreement Specter is requesting you to sign, you offer to walk Lemon out of the apartment, eager to see her leave so that you can be alone again..

The shade of furious ruby red her cheeks had turned when you'd told her about you and Colt had you sure she was about to implode.. But instead, she hadn't spoken a single word, taking a deep breath and continuing on as if you'd never said a thing.. 

You'll admit her reaction was a strange one, still you weren't about to push her any further, the strict little lawyer is a tiny bit terrifying, even to you.. 

As you reach the apartment entry, a commotion just outside stops you both in your tracks.. Shouts of outrage, command and authority bellow from the other side of the door, along with the sound of scuffles and stomping boots.. "STOP RIGHT THERE! PUT YOUR HANDS UP! WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU?!" 

You creep forward, Lemon grabbing at your shoulder to hold you back but you shake her off, determined to know what is happening.. "No, don't!" 

"IDENTIFY YOURSELF!" The agents demand, with militant intimidation.. 

You push up on tip-toe to peer through the peephole, seeing The two Bravo agents who'd been posted guard at your door.. Their weapons are trained on a man in powder blue jeans and a grey sports coat.. A man you know.. 

Roberto stands there, shell shocked with his hands above his head.. "M-My name is Roberto Carloni, I'm a reporter for The Daily.. I  need to talk to Mikkalia, please.. She has to hear this! She has to know what I know!"

"I DON'T GIVE A FUCK WHAT YOU THINK YOU KNOW! THIS IS PRIVATE PROPERTY AND YOU'RE TRESPASSING!"

How the hell did he find you?! 

You reach for the door handle but Lemon grabs your wrist.. "Are you trying to get yourself killed?! Don't go out there.. Let them handle this.."

You hesitate.. "But I know him--" 

She squeezes.. "So? This is their job, Mikki.. He shouldn't be here, and he could be dangerous.. Please.."

You huff, turning back to the peephole to see the surly faced Agents dragging Roberto back towards the elevator shoving him inside and hitting the ground floor button, one of them remaining to guard the door while the other escorts Carloni only god knows where.. 

"Okay, he's gone.." You sigh, turning back to Lemon.. "They won't hurt him, will they?" 

She frowns at you.. "Of course not, they're the good guys, remember?" 

You narrow your gaze.. "Riiight.." 

"Mikki, who was that?" She ignores your sarcasm to query carefully..

"His name is Roberto Carloni, he's a reporter for the Daily.. He isn't exactly my biggest fan.. And he thinks Angelo is the devil himself incarnate.. I honestly don't know how he keeps finding me.." You think back to those photographs of Colt and you in the woods.. 

Has Roberto been following you all this time? 
What had he wanted to tell you? 

She groans in irritation before nodding.. "He's obviously good at his job, that's how.. Stay here.. Let me find out what is going on, okay? We can't have this getting out, the press would have a field day with this.." 

"Yeah I suppose.. Okay.." You agree and she slips out the door.. You press your ear against it to listen to their conversation.. 

Lemon takes a strict approach with the Bravo Agents and honestly it makes you respect her.. Actually, it even makes you like her a little more.. "What the fuck do you halfwits call that disaster? Is Specter always this prone to error or is it something about Harrison's leadership that has you all acting like incompetent idiots.. My client deserves to feel safe, and the balance of our negotiations relies on that, so do you think you neanderthals can get just one job right?" 

"It won't happen again, Miss Lennox.." Growls the intimidating tone of Agent Walker.. A begrudgingly diligent response that doesn't do much to convince you he really cares.. 

"Aye, mam'.." Agrees his partner, Agent O'riley, with a far sunnier disposition than his counterpart.. 

"See that it doesn't.." She reprimands.. "How did he even get up here? Wasn't somebody supposed to be keeping watch downstairs?" 

"Langdon was called away, Mam'.. There's been a development.. Agent Devereux requested all the assistance we could spare."

"Well don't you think I should know about this, since you're leaving my client vulnerable?.. That wasn't a part of the deal.. What development is so important that Specter would renege in our agreement?" You appreciate the way she defends you, it almost makes up for all her attitude you've taken from her over the past few days.. 

Almost.. 

You press closer to the door as Walker answers her with a quiet, terrifying revelation.. One that stops your heart.. "Agent Knox is MIA."