The Way We Are Now

They fall into an easy rhythm, Nash wakes up early to take Skylynn and Hayes to school while Cameron sleeps it. Once Cameron's friends realize that Nash is back for good, they flood Nash's phone with messages, they genuinely like Cameron's boyfriend. He and JJ grow close, Nash would even say that they are best friends.

Nash doesn't officially work for the farm but he loves to spend time with the horses. When Cameron goes into his office to work, Nash heads out to the barn to work with Aaron and the horses. He washes them lovingly as he remembers helping his mother do the same, she would sing soft songs as she did it. He wonders if she would be happy now to see where her children ended up. They are no longer trailer park trash and 100% happy with their lives. All because of Cameron, Nash feels guilty sometimes because he realizes that Cameron has done so much more for them than they have done for him. He feels insecure as a little voice in his head tells him that Cameron's grandmother is right.

Cameron's parents fly in when he calls and lets them know that Nash and the kids are back. They spend a few days together and Gina takes Nash aside and apologizes for the actions of her mother. They share a long hug and Nash has to fight back tears because it's been so long since he had a mother to hug him and make him feel that everything is alright.

John and Gina return to their new farm leaving Cameron and Nash to build their lives together.

Nash is outside washing the cars when a familiar beat up car drives down the road towards the ranch. He drops the hose and immediately runs inside.

"Cameron?!" He calls out in a panicked tone. He opens his office door and Cameron is in a conference call. He motions for Cameron to hang up.

"Listen, we need to wrap this up for now. Just send me an email with everything we touched on, okay?" Cameron says and then hangs up. He stands and goes up to Nash, he pulls him into his arms and rubs his back gently.

"What's wrong babe?" He asks and he wants to soothe that expression off of his face.

"My fucking father is here, I saw his car coming down the road." Nash chokes out and Cameron hugs Nash tightly.

"We'll take care of it, baby. Don't be worried or scared, there's nothing he can do to us," Cameron murmurs and presses a soft kiss to Nash's temple. He leads him outside just as Chad has parked the car and gets out.

"You can stop right there," Cameron says coldly and makes Chad stop in his tracks.

Chad looks around the land, he feels anger deep inside his heart that Nash ended up in such a good place in life while he has to live a dingy motel. He got kicked out of the trailer when he wasn't able to pay rent 2 weeks in a row. He never blames himself or his expensive drinking habit, he blames Nash.

"I'd like to talk to my son alone." He says bluntly.

Nash scoffs at him, Chad is completely delusional.

"First of all I'm not your son and secondly we have nothing to say to each other." Nash replies flatly.

Chad steps forward with a menacing expression.

Cameron laughs at him. "Chad, take one more fucking step and I will have my rifle pointed at you so fast you won't know what hit you."

His tone and his posture don't match his words at all and that's part of what makes Cameron so terrifying.

"Why the hell are you here, Chad?" Nash asks crossing his arms. "We have nothing to say to each other. Your years of abuse are done, I don't have to put up with your presence ever again. Hayes, Sky and I are free from you."

Chad regrets signing away the custody of the kids, he lost the only leverage he had on Nash.

"They diagnosed me with cancer Nash, it's spread everywhere, I only have a few weeks to live. I'm here to apologize for everything I did and seek forgiveness." Chad lies, he figures it's probably the easiest way to get money from Nash.