The Shadows Cover Me

Cameron and Nash grow closer and closer, their outing on Saturday afternoon becomes a weekly outing. The siblings all look forward to Saturday, the only day of the week that they feel truly happy. Nash continues to work hard during the week but definitely not as hard as the tasks that he was doing during the summer.

While Nash is working, their friendship is kept strictly business, the only time they allow themselves to talk about anything personal is during Nash's break. Cameron doesn't want to make it seem like he favorites Nash, it's not because he feels ashamed of his friendship at all.

Chad has not become aware of the fact that the siblings are going out with Cameron and they know, even little Skylynn knows, not to bring it up around him. The knowledge that Nash has even just a little bit of happiness would burn Chad up and he would make sure that the outings don't happen. He continues to believe that they're out doing errands.

Nash doesn't want Chad to know that anything has changed as far as his job and pay goes, so he continues to ask Chad for bill money each week. He's able to cover their bills with just his paycheck, the rent for the trailer, the water and electric bill and their groceries. He realizes that he can afford to move out on his own now, and Chad would not be able to stop him because he's 18 but he knows he'd never give up Skylynn and there's no way Nash could, ever leave her with him. So he keeps the extra money hidden in a drawer that Chad would never check, saving up to buy himself and the kids new winter coats. He's declined Cameron's offers to pick him up for work, it's too early when Nash wakes up and he definitely doesn't want to inconvenience Cameron. But it's getting colder as they head into November and the walks are becoming more tedious. Nash has a threadbare, worn coat that barely keeps him warm. He has almost just enough money to buy his siblings their coats first and then he'll start saving again to buy himself a coat.

He's walking to the farm, it's Friday again and he's looking forward to spending time with Cameron. It's one of the only things that keeps him going. In the 2 months that he's known Cameron he's gotten so close to him, closer than he's ever been to anyone. Saturdays are quite literally the light at the end of the tunnel for Nash, he gets to spend time with all his favorite people.

Nash gets to the barn where he and Aaron work together in quiet companionship. They've gotten close as well, getting to know each other while working with the horses. But they've never hung out, outside of work, it's just never been brought up. Either way Nash's only free day is spent with Cameron and the kids and he would never want to give it up.

Nash looks forward to his lunch break, usually Cameron comes around on Fridays to solidify their plans for the next day. Nash plans on asking Cameron if they can go to the mall to buy the kids their coats. He's nervous even though he knows that Cameron wouldn't mind at all. Aaron actually ends up leaving the farm for his break, he needed to get something done during that time so Nash ends up sitting on the picnic table by himself, he has a sandwich, juice and chips to eat. All product of his hard work and increased pay, Nash feels proud of himself for being able to provide better for his siblings. They haven't been able to get new winter clothes in years. Hayes doesn't fit in most of his clothes, luckily Sky is a small girl so she still fits in her clothes pretty well.

He sees Cameron walking up to him and he breaks out into a wide smile, the smile that Cameron loves. Cameron smiles back at him as he gets close and he sits next to Nash on the picnic table. He doesn't comment on Aaron's absence because Aaron asked permission to live the premises before going.

Cameron and Nash haven't addressed the romantic feelings that they each have for each other. Nash because he's scared that Cameron doesn't return his feelings and Cameron because he's waiting for the right moment to ask Nash out on a date with just the 2 of them. He wants it to be a Friday night because Nash doesn't work the next day, he's already planning on asking Mrs. Kaplan to watch the younger siblings for a few hours while he takes Nash out. He plans on paying her for her time. He wants everything to be perfect for Nash, he deserves it.