One Step Closer

The next day is beautiful. The sun is shining brightly and Nash, Hayes and Skylynn are currently at the towns only supermarket, buying their groceries.

"Can I have a lollipop?" Skylynn asks sweetly as she points to the rack of candy.

"I'm sorry baby, we can't this time..." Nash replies, smiling sadly. He makes sure he has everything and that he's calculated the amount correctly, nothing is more embarrassing than having to return things because you can't afford it.

"We never get to have candy anymore," Hayes whines as he stares longingly at the candy.

"I know buddy, I'm sorry. Maybe next time..." he says softly but they both know that they probably won't be able to next time either. They go to the check out lane and stand in line, Skylynn amuses her self by making up a song about lollipops. Nash smiles at her lovingly, she can always brighten his mood.

He puts their meager groceries on the belt and the cashier rings it up for him. He stares at the total praying that he didn't mess up his calculations, he already paid the light bill so he only has just enough money for the groceries left. He lets out a sigh of relief when he sees that he was right. He hands over the money and receives the change. He spots a gumball machine towards the exit and hands Hayes the change.

"You can get some gumballs for you and Sky," he tells him, trying to make up for not getting candy for them. Hayes smiles and rushes to the gumball machine as Nash packs their groceries in a bag. He carries the bags and takes Skylynn's hand, they start walking towards Hayes who's getting the gumballs for him and Sky.

It's almost out of nowhere that someone slams into him and causes him to drop the bag of groceries. He stumbles and lets go of Sky's hand but he's able to regain his balance. The milk explodes all over the floor and it takes Nash everything he has inside of him not to cry in frustration. There's no way he can afford to get another gallon of milk, it would be another 4 dollars that he doesn't have.

"Shit! I'm so sorry, bro," a male voice exclaims and Nash focuses on the person who slammed into him. It is Cameron Dallas, the only son of the very wealthy Dallas family. They are the ones who own the ranch that Nash works for, but Nash knows Cameron from school. They graduated together and even though their graduating class wasn't so big, he knows that Cameron doesn't know he exists.

Cameron was popular, everyone loved him and Nash wasn't even a blip on his radar. But Nash knows everything about Cameron, he used to watch him all the time at school. His warm, brown eyes, his smile and even his hair drew Nash in. Nash is gay, nobody knows that and he was infatuated with Cameron even though he knew nothing would even come of it.

"I-It's okay," he stutters softly and he frowns as he picks up the rest of his groceries. Cameron was supposed to be at college, the same one Nash had dreamed of going to, so what was he doing here?

"I'll replace it, dude. I should have been looking where I was going," Cameron apologizes and he's a little startled when Nash looks up at meets his gaze. He has very intense, bright blue eyes and Cameron was not expecting that at all.

A worker approaches them with a mop to clean up the mess and they step out of the way to allow her to do her job. Hayes comes up to them and hands Skylynn her gumball, she giggles in excitement as she pops the ball into her mouth.

"Thank you Nashy!" she exclaims and begins to twirl around. Nash smiles fondly at her and returns his attention back to Cameron who has been staring at him. He rubs the back of his neck awkwardly.

"N-no...you don't have to do that. It was an accident," Nash could curse himself for stuttering, but this is the first time he's ever spoken to Cameron.