A Child Changes Everything. [Father Daughter Bonding]

It was freezing outside. Your teeth chattered violently. You could see your breath, and you held your hands out to the vents on your car. The heat had just kicked in, and you turned the knob on full blast. As your hand passed in front of your face, the diamond ring on your left ring finger sparkled. You admired it before setting your hand back on the wheel of your 1992 Honda Civic. The engine let out a periodic squeal that worried you, but you tried to ignore it. Worrying about the inevitable moment when the car finally gave out would only stress you out. You didn't have the money to fix it. You pulled into your usual parking space and lugged yourself up to the back entrance. It was there that Draco was waiting for you, lit cigarette in hand.

"Why didn't you tell me?" he asked quietly.

"Why? Why didn't I tell my heroin addicted Death Eater boyfriend that I was pregnant with his child?" you asked sarcastically. He flicked his cigarette onto the ground and stomped it out. Clearly, what you had said bothered him. He stood quietly for a moment, and you were worried that you had seriously hurt him.

"Is she smart?"

"Very smart. Sometimes I think she's smarter than I am." You smiled. He chuckled at this.

"So... What now?" His eyes glanced down toward your left hand. You shoved your hand in your pocket.

"Now I have work to do. But if you want to spend time with your daughter later, I think that would be okay." He nodded and you left him, somewhat awkwardly. When you went inside, Stacey was waiting for you.

"Hey..." she said. You smiled at her and pulled off your coat. "Listen, er... If I knew about Draco--"

"Stacey, stop. It's fine." you said. She looked at you skeptically. To prove it, you hugged her. She seemed relieved, and the two of you got out onto the floor to start your shift.

* * * *

Your back ached as you pulled up to Kelly's school. The restaurant was slow so you managed to get off early enough to pick her up for a change. You walked up to Mrs. Golbek's kindergarten classroom. The door was propped open. Kids ran screaming around the room as poor Mrs. Golbek helped two girls get glue out of their hair. Kelly was nowhere to be seen.

"Mrs. Golbek?"

"Ms. Rogers! What are you doing here? Kelly's father picked her up half an hour ago!"

"Kelly's father?" you asked. Mrs. Golbek looked you in the eye and you noticed the slight fogginess of her corneas. Something stirred in your memory. A lesson you had at Hogwarts, about the Imperius Curse.

"Of course... I must have forgotten he was picking her up today." you said slowly. She smiled and returned to prying the two girls' hair apart.

You raced out of the school. You felt like you couldn't breathe the entire ride home. Harry hadn't picked her up. He wouldn't have needed to do an Imperius Curse. Your life in the wizarding world flooded back to you in a whirlwind. Had they finally found you? Your daughter? You had worked so hard to keep under the Ministry's radar. You knew that several old Death Eaters still worked high up in the Ministry, and were very aware of your abilities. Your fear that they would try to use you, or worse, take Kelly from you, forced you to give up the wizarding world in favor for the Muggle world. It was hard to do, especially with your connections to Harry, Ron and Hermione. They respected your decision, and never spoke a word about you to anyone that couldn't keep their mouth shut. You screeched to a halt outside Harry's apartment. You got out and instantly breathed a sigh of relief at the sight of Kelly playing on the sidewalk. You rushed to her.

"Mommy!" she yelled excitedly. You pulled her into a hug, tears falling from your eyes as you squeezed her tight.

"Hi sweetie!"