A Child Changes Everything. [Do You Remember...?]

“Mommy!” Kelly’s voice echoed in your mind. You felt as though you couldn’t breathe as you grasped around in darkness, desperately searching for your daughter. Your chest got tighter by the millisecond, and your movements became more urgent. The pitch blackness pressed against your eyeballs. You couldn’t see her, couldn’t hear her. She was gone.

“KRIS!” a distant faceless voice called your name. 

You felt your arms being held down painfully against your sides. You were drenched in a cold sweat, and you couldn’t seem to open your eyes. The image of Thomas Ellington’s smiling face only heightened your panic. Thomas stepped toward you, and you saw her. You nearly wept with happiness at the sight of Kelly, standing by his side. You struggled to reach her, but the arms holding your sides wouldn’t let you.

“KRIS! KRIS, PLEASE!” the phantom voice called again. 

“LET HER GO!” you begged. Thomas looked down upon her lovingly, and took her hand in his. They turned and started to walk away into the darkness together, Kelly giggling and skipping happily along.

“NOOOOOO!” You jolted upward in bed, your eyes burning at the light as soon as you opened them. It felt like hot liquid ran through your veins and suddenly the hands that were holding you down released their grasp. 

“FUCK!” Harry yelled, his hands scalded by your skin. You didn’t know what shocked you more; the fact that you were safe in bed in a beautiful bedroom that you didn’t recognize, or the fact that Harry Potter was sitting next to you.

“Harry!” you gasped. You pulled him toward you into a bone crushing hug. He hesitantly wrapped his arms around you, squeezing you comfortingly. Tears escaped your eyes uncontrollably at holding him again. You honestly didn’t think you would see him ever again, and the strongest feeling of love flooded through you.

“Kris, it’s okay.” He soothed. You broke away from him with shaking hands. 

“But how did you… Kelly? Where is she—“

“Shhhh. She’s fine. She’s in the other room with Draco.” He said calmly. You made to get up and go see them but he stopped you. 

“What?”

“We just think you need a little more time away from her. To heal.” 

Your brow furrowed as you tried to recall what happened. You remember laying on the floor, with Kelly’s shield protecting you. And the blood. There was so much blood; much more than you ever bled before when you were hurt.

“Why did it take so long? Did I almost die?” you asked. Harry nodded solemnly. 

“Draco and I discussed it. Based on what he told me about your meeting with Artie Huggins, Kelly shielding you actually prevented you from healing as quickly. She was using the power you would have used to heal yourself. In a sense, by protecting you, she was killing you. Luckily the shield broke when it did.”

It made sense, but it was still a lot to take in. You tried desperately to remember more but it came in bits and pieces that didn’t make any sense. What made the least sense of all was Harry being there. 

“How did you find us? What happened?”

“You and Kelly told me. With this.” He said quietly, holding up a small necklace. You had a flash of Kelly holding the pink framed mirror. 

“What’s this?” you asked, taking it. Harry sat quietly, contemplating the best way to answer this.

“Do you remember the day Kelly was born? How scared I was?” he whispered, finally meeting your eyes. 

“Yes, of course I remember.”

“And… it took so long. I thought something was wrong. I hit that call light probably a hundred times.” He chuckled, and you smiled at the memory. Harry was running late to work that day. The two of you were having some sort of argument, but you couldn’t recall what it was about. Something unimportant. You got so angry that your water broke right in the middle of his kitchen floor. Harry didn’t hesitate in rushing you to the hospital, even though you were yelling at him about whatever he had done the entire way through St. Mungo’s. But he didn’t care. He only cared about getting you into a bed to rest before the delivery.

“You lied to the staff, telling them I was the father so that I could be in the room with you. You refused to not have me in the room.” He absentmindedly took your hand in his. You could tell he was trying to keep his composure. “And then she came. And they put her in my arms first, even before you. I held her. She was so small and delicate. And I cried, because she was the most beautiful thing I’d ever seen.”

“It was the best day of my life.” you agreed weepily. 

“Mine too. Kris, you have to understand. Leaving you and trying to move on was the hardest thing I have ever done. But leaving Kelly. It was… impossible.”

“I know. She never stopped asking for you.” 

“And it killed me to think that she was wondering where I went and why I left her! I couldn’t let her think I abandoned her, or that it was her fault. So, I brought her this.” He motioned toward the necklace. “It was the mirror Sirius gave me. I have the other half. That way, she could see me whenever she wanted. And I could see her.”

“So… you found us through it?” 

“Yes. I came as soon as you told me the address, right before you passed out.”

“Thank you, Harry. I owe you so much. For everything.” You couldn’t even express how thankful you were toward him. Honestly, without him you don’t think you would have made it. The drugs, the drinking, everything that you used to cope with difficult situations would have overtaken you. You were depressed after Draco left, but Harry made sure you never felt alone. He made sure you saw hope, and a light at the end of the tunnel. You took his face in your trembling hands, and you planted a soft lingering kiss on his cheek. Then you let him pull you close to him. He inhaled your scent. 

“You saved us, Harry Potter. So many times.” You whispered in his ear. The tearful reunion stirred up too much emotion. Too much history. Harry leaving again was not an option.

“I can’t—“ he began but you held a finger to his lips. 

“She needs you Harry. Maybe even more than Draco. You are as much her father as he is.” He nodded silently that he understood, and you pulled out of his grip as a soft knock sounded from the bedroom door. You both wiped your eyes as Draco poked his head into the bedroom.

“Sorry to interrupt but someone’s restless to see you.” He smiled and moved out of the way. Kelly shot into the room and jumped into your arms. You felt a slight pain in your stomach telling you that you weren’t fully healed, but you didn’t care. You had your daughter in your arms again. Everything was right in the world. 

“Mommy, I missed you!” she smiled happily.

“Mommy missed you more.” 

“Come on! Come see the beach!” she said excitedly, pulling your hand.

“Beach?” you shot a questioning look at Draco and Harry. 

“We are at Bill and Fleur’s cottage. It was the safest location we had on such short notice.“ Harry filled you in.

“Yeah! And it’s on the beach!” Kelly squealed. You laughed as she dragged you out through the quaint living room and out the front door. The ocean breeze felt rejuvenating against your skin. Kelly ran out into the sand, obviously in pure bliss. You were reminded of just how innocent she still was, despite everything. You followed her, and together you dipped your toes into the cold water. She laughed and splashed everywhere, including on you. For a moment, everything seemed to melt away. The uprising, Thomas Ellington, Progeniti... It all fell away and you were able to enjoy this one fleeting moment with your daughter. You held a hand over your eyes as you squinted back up toward the house. Draco and Harry had both come outside and were watching you and Kelly frolic in the waves. They stood side by side, both keeping a protective eye on the two most important women in both of their lives.