A Child Changes Everything. [I Don't Blame You]

“You do realize that when she finds out about the deal you cut me, she will hate you.” Draco stepped out from behind the screen door, letting it close with a bang, and joined Harry on the front porch.

“I realize that, yes.” Harry said. He braced himself for what he had been waiting for this whole time. Draco had information that would surely remove him from the picture for good, and he was getting anxious wondering when he was finally going to use it. Draco pulled out a pack of cigarettes and looked out toward the ocean where Kelly and Kris were playing. He took one out and put it to his lips, lighting the end of it with his wand tip. After a few puffs, he finally looked Harry square in the eyes. Harry held his breath, waiting for the words he always knew were going to come. 

“I’m not going to tell her.” Harry blinked twice in confusion. This wasn’t what he expected at all. Draco sensed this so he continued. “I don’t blame you for what you did. I hardly remember when you found me, I was so strung out. Literally, out of my mind. You were just trying to protect them. Honestly, I would have done the same thing.”

“But I thought that—“ 

“That I would use it to get you out of the way?” he chuckled. “Well, the thought had crossed my mind; on more than one occasion. But we both want the same thing, Harry. We want Kris and Kelly to be happy. And we both know that they won’t truly be happy without you.”

“Oh. Well… thanks.” Harry said, shocked but thrilled at the turn this conversation had taken. 

“Thank you, Harry.” He said sincerely. This conversation was already strange enough. Now Draco Malfoy was thanking him?

“For what?” 

“For being there for them when I couldn’t be. Kelly is amazing. And I know that you are half the reason why.”

The two men stood in an awkward silence, neither really knowing how to proceed from here. Harry kept his gaze on Kris, splashing in the ocean next to Kelly. The way the sun hit her skin, she looked almost like she was glowing. She looked up toward where they stood and he waved slightly in her direction. She smiled toward him happily. 

“So, are you going to be sticking around, then?” Draco asked, stamping out his cigarette on the old wooden floor of the porch.

“It looks that way.” He said quietly. 

“Fine. But just remember that she made her choice. All on her own. Do you think you can accept that?” Draco asked. He wasn’t too keen on the idea of Harry being around. He tried to play it cool, but it was hard. Harry knew Kris in every intimate way that Draco did. And they both knew how much he still wanted her.

“I think so.” Harry’s words came out slowly. It was obviously extremely hard for him to get them out. Draco held out his hand to Harry, and he shook it. The two men seemed to come to an understanding, and that was no easy feat for either of them. Kelly began sprinting up the sand back toward the house, Kris following slowly behind. 

“Uncle Harry!” she ran and jumped up into his arms, clutching onto him for dear life. “Uncle Harry, did you see me! I swam so far. Farther than I ever swam before! Did you see, Daddy?” She watched them both expectantly for praise for her accomplishment.

“Yes, you did!” Draco said, matching her excitement. Harry held Kelly in his arms, and he couldn’t help but think of that day in the delivery room when the Healer handed her to him. She had gotten so big since then. 

“Uncle Harry, didn’t you see?” She pestered, pouting at him. Draco’s words ran through his mind again. She made her choice. At that moment, it finally hit him. He had a choice to make now. And looking into Kelly’s beautiful bluish grey eyes, the choice was clear.

“Yes, I saw Kelly Belly! Way to go!” he said, lifting her up into the air. He carried her into the house, Draco and Kris following closely behind, hand in hand. As Draco settled down on the couch, Kris snug in his arms, he reflected on what a change he’d seen in her since Harry came back around. She was brighter. Happier. He didn’t want that to go away. He wanted her to have it for as long as she possibly could. 

*           *           *           *

Thomas Ellington entered the dark and dingy dining hall in a fit of rage, the doors banging loudly as they flew open. His eyes scanned the room until they came upon Lyle and Montgomery, the two man that accompanied him into the garage. Whipping out his wand at lightning speed, he directed it toward them. 

“AVADA KEDAVRA!” His spell hit Lyle square in the chest and his lifeless body slumped down onto the floor. Montgomery held up his arms, cowering as the wand was turned on him. But seconds passed in silence, until finally Thomas let his wand fall to his side. He had always planned to spare Montgomery, as he was the one to distract Draco and allow Thomas a quick and easy escape. But Lyle failed his assignment, and had to be dealt with accordingly.

Thomas took a deep calming breath as he removed his jacket and set it delicately on the coat rack near the door. His followers all sat silently, watching with fearful eyes as he resumed his seat at the head of the long, dusty table. 

“Now, then. Can someone please tell me what happened back there?” he asked menacingly.

“S-sir. The girl, she had some sort of protective charm around her!” a small man in the center of the table replied hastily. 

“But we think we know how to get past it!” a female piped in hurriedly before Thomas could respond. He raised an eyebrow.

“Yes! We have!” the man agreed. 

“Well, Cadwall, why don’t you share with the rest of the group?” Thomas asked nonchalantly as he lifted the large silver spoon set out in front of him. He breathed on it and rubbed it against his pant leg to remove any dirt, then held it up to examine his face in the reflection. He grimaced at the deep laceration where Draco’s spell hit his left cheek and set the spoon down again.

“Huggins told us everything before we killed him. He said that the girl and the mother shared magic or something along those lines. When the mother was hit, the girl’s magic was weakened!” 

“Well, what does that mean? We kill the mother?”

“No!” Cadwall came shuffling down from the table straight up to Thomas’ chair, lugging several books and papers along with him. “I’ve been researching, Sir. I found this in the writer’s flat. Progeniti transfer abilities after they are deceased to their other. The girl will only become stronger.” 

“Right. So hurt Kris Rogers, but don’t kill her.”

“Y-y-yes exactly.” He stuttered nervously. Cadwall looked like he was waiting for some kind of treat for delivering this news. 

“I see. Very well.” Thomas said, dismissing him. Suddenly, a house elf Apparated next to him and set a platter of food down in front of him. He tucked in to the meal, but before he was able to take his first bite he became extremely aware of all the eyes on him.

“Well, what are you waiting for? FIND THEM!” He yelled so harshly that they all jumped in their seats. The sound of over a dozen witches and wizards Disapparating met his ears as he took his first bite into his juicy steak and mash. He ate, enjoying the comfortable silence as he sat alone. Just the way he liked it.