A Child Changes Everything. [Co-Parenting]

It had become clear that Draco wasn’t leaving anytime soon. In a week, he managed to get an apartment just two blocks away from yours. You weren’t sure how he managed this, but you guessed the Imperius Curse played a key part in it. Harry wasn’t too pleased about Draco’s reappearance in your life, but he played nice for Kelly’s sake. So far, the only regular arrangement you had made with him was allowing him to pick Kelly up from school and bring her home in the afternoons. It was a relief during the week, but now it was Saturday.

“Have you seen my coat?” Harry asked. You looked up from your coffee and newspaper to see him showered and dressed.

“Where are you off to?”

“I’ve got a meeting before the raid tonight. It’s not on the coat rack. Did you move it to the hall closet?” he asked distractedly.

“Um, Harry? I’m leaving for work in half an hour! You were watching Kelly today, remember?”

“Kris, I can’t today. This is a big deal! Four months we’ve been working on this!” he said. He pulled his coat out of the hall closet and threw it on quickly. “Just call in sick.”

“I can’t just--” you began but he cut you off by kissing you on the lips.

“I’ll be back for dinner. I’m sorry, Kris. Really.” he pleaded forgiveness on his way out the door. You waved your hand, defeated. And then he was gone. You sighed. Normally you would call Hermione, but she and Ron were gone for their anniversary. They had taken a trip to Paris. You were so jealous when you had found out. You would kill to get away for a few days. Calling in sick wasn’t an option. Tom would probably take the opportunity to fire you. You picked up the phone and dialed Draco’s number slowly. You almost hung up with each ring as you waited for him to answer. You had left Kelly with him for an hour once, but this would be for a whole day. He wasn’t the most experienced with kids, and you weren’t sure if he was ready for it.

“HELLO?!” You winced at the sound of him bellowing into the mouthpiece. He hadn’t gotten accustomed to the telephone yet.

“Draco, you don’t need to shout. Remember?”

“Oh… right. Sorry.” he said sheepishly.

“It’s okay. Listen, are you busy?”

“Not at all. Why?”

“Well, Harry’s been called into work and now there is nobody here to watch Kelly. So, I was wondering if--”

“I’ll be there in ten minutes.” And he hung up. You smiled.

You were cleaning up Kelly’s toys in the living room when you heard a knock at your front door. Kelly’s head popped out from her bedroom excitedly.

“Draco’s here!” she yelled, flying for the door. You looked at her with surprise and wonder. How could she know it was him? Had she overheard? You caught her and picked her up.

“Now, you don’t go running to the door like that! Remember, it might be a stranger.”

“No it’s not! I know exactly who it is!” she laughed, then wriggled out of your grasp and ran to the door. She flung it open and Draco stood in the doorway, holding a photo box. Your face hardened at the sight of it.

“Draco, can I talk to you for a minute?” you said urgently.

“Sure.” he said, but not before kneeling down and hugging Kelly. You hurried next to him and grabbed the photo box that he set on the floor. Wanting to get it out of sight, you went to your bedroom and shut the door. You opened the box, confirming what you suspected. All of the photos were moving magically, smiling up at you and waving. Your eyes snapped up as Draco opened the door to your bedroom.

“What’s wrong?” he asked, concern on his face.

“You know what’s wrong. Why did you bring these?” you questioned, shoving the box back at him.

“Kelly told me she was doing a family tree project.”

“Kelly goes to a Muggle school, Draco.”

“I know that! I was going to freeze them!”

“But not before you showed her first?” you accused. He stayed silent, casting his eyes back down at the box.

“Draco you know the rules!”

“Kris, we need to talk about this. She’s my daughter, too. And I don’t want her to be sheltered from magic.”

“Well that’s not your decision to make.” you whispered, not wanting Kelly to overhear.

“It’s not yours either. It’s both of ours.”

You crossed your arms angrily. This was new territory. Even though Harry helped raise Kelly, he usually just went with whatever decisions you made because you were her mother. But Draco was her father. You weren’t sure how to approach the situation.

“What are you planning on doing when she starts displaying magical ability? Or when she gets her letter?”

“I… I don’t know.” you said truthfully.

“Well you better think fast. It’s already starting.”

“I know. I just… I can’t think about this right now!” you said, glancing at the clock on the nightstand. You still needed to get dressed and you had to leave in ten minutes.

“Okay. But we will be talking about it later.”

“Fine. Can you just please freeze those things. Please?” you asked. He nodded and took out his wand. He tapped on them wordlessly and the pictures all froze in one place.

“Happy?”

“Yes. Thank you. Now, can you please get out of my bedroom?”

“Fine. You know, I don’t think I’ve ever gotten that particular request from a woman before. I’m usually asked the opposite.” he mused. You couldn’t help laughing. You wished you hadn’t though. He left you and you changed quickly. When you emerged from your bedroom, Draco was sitting with Kelly, coloring.

“She hasn’t eaten breakfast yet. She likes Lucky Charms. It’s up in the top cabinet here. And there is leftover lasagna in the fridge for lunch.” He stood and walked up to you. He took your hands in his. That shut you up instantly. You knew you should not be touching him. But you couldn’t pull your hands away.

“Kris, don’t worry. I can handle it. Trust me.” he said sincerely. And you did. In that one gesture you felt all worry leave your body.

“I trust you, Draco.” you said quietly. He smiled, and you returned it. You turned and kissed Kelly goodbye. She didn’t tear her eyes away from her drawing. Then, with a final wave, you left for work.