A Child Changes Everything. [A Convincing Performance]

Rats scurried along the dungeon floor, often passing closely where Harry lay. But he no longer cared. His wrists ached from the magical binding that tethered him to the cold stone wall. He had given up his struggle after about six hours, knowing that it was of no use. His head had just begun to droop when the sound of the dungeon door opening snapped him at attention. Harry's eyes widened as Draco's stiff body was levitated into the room by the same armed guard that had locked him in this hellhole. He lowered him and whispered a spell. A green snake slithered out of his wand, coiling its body around Draco's wrists before latching onto a metal chain on the ground a few feet away. Then, once the man was safe on the other side of the door, the curse keeping Draco still lifted. He sat up slowly.

"Don't bother." Harry said, seeing him begin to tug at the restraints on his wrists, trying to break free. He turned, allowing him a clear view of the red rings that were now etched in his own wrists from hours of attempting to escape.

"You led them to us." Draco said, staring at him with a burning rage in his eyes.

"Hey! It wasn't my fault. Someone leaked from my department. My team didn't even get a minute out before we were snatched!" Harry said angrily. But his anger didn't last. It was replaced by worry. "Where's Kelly? And Kris?"

"They've got them." Draco's voice shook at his words, and Harry saw that he was still attempting to break free.

"WHAT?! How could you let that happen?"

"Kelly Apparated to save me! Once her shield was down, they took Kris. I had to give myself up! I would have had no other way to find her!"

"But you put Kelly at risk!"

"I COULDN'T LEAVE KRIS!"

Harry shut up. Draco was right. Even as they both sat in the dingy dungeon below their captors' headquarters, neither had any idea where they were. Any chance of saving them rested with getting caught and being brought to where Thomas was hiding.

"Now what?" Harry asked, looking upward at the sad little lamp that swung above their heads.

"Now we escape."

The two men sat, eyeing their surroundings hopelessly. Neither had any idea how to accomplish this. But somewhere just above their heads, Kelly and Kris needed them. Failing was not an option.

* * * *

From the moment the guards escorted you back up to your room the previous night, you had made a point to observe every single detail of your surroundings. You had finished shedding your tears; now, you were in survival mode.

The house was large, probably built at least fifty years ago. The placement of the guards let you know what rooms were most important. Charlie's room was just down the hall from yours. You guessed that Thomas lived on the top floor, because you could hear a constant flow of footsteps going up and down the staircase. A benefit of the house's age was that it was easy to hear through the floor boards if you were quiet enough. It sounded like the activity upstairs was in the room directly above your own. It was probably a sitting room or study.

The next morning, Thomas called for you to join him for breakfast. You dressed in your regular clothes, even though Charlie had set out another outfit for you. You followed her, walking along the banister that overlooked the first floor. Out of the corner of your eye, you spotted a guard coming up a staircase from an open door just to the left of the front door. He was carrying two empty dishes. It would be a good placement for a basement or some kind of dungeon. You snapped your eyes back up as soon as you felt Charlie's suspicious gaze on you and followed her the rest of the way to the dining room, pretending you hadn't noticed.