A Child Changes Everything. [Classroom Catastrophe]

You saw Draco a lot sooner than you planned on. The very next morning, as you were grabbing your keys to leave for work, your phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Ms. Rogers? This is Mrs. Golbek. We have a… er… situation. We need you down at the school as soon as possible.”

“What? Why? Is Kelly alright?” you asked, panic rising in your voice.

“She’s fine, Ms. Rogers! We just need you here to… talk her down.”

“What? I don’t understand.” You began but then you heard a crash in the background. You dropped the phone in shock, and with a pop you Apparated to Draco’s front door. You banged on the door frantically.

“Kris? What’s going on?” Draco asked, pulling a shirt over his head.

“We need to go to Kelly’s school. They called me and I don’t know what’s happening but it sounded like something was wrong and we need to go—“

“Alright, calm down!” He wrapped an arm around your shoulders and you felt the squeeze of side along Apparation. You opened your eyes to see you were standing behind a bush in front of the elementary school. The two of you rushed up the front steps and into the hallway. As you got closer to her classroom, you heard shouting. Flashes of green light lit up the hallway. Draco reached for the doorknob of the classroom but you felt that familiar uncontrollable energy shoot through your body and the door shot off its hinges and fell to the floor.

The sight before the two of you was unbelievable. Twelve cloaked Ministry officials were running around the classroom chasing Kelly. But Kelly was not running. She was flying. She shot through the air, spells by the Ministry workers ricocheting off of some sort of glowing blue shield that was around her entire body. The rest of the children in the class and Mrs. Golbek were sitting along the back wall, staring blankly at the scene in front of them. You assumed they were under some kind of spell or enchantment to not take in the blatant magical display developing before them. You felt your breathing quicken in panic. You knew this day would come, but you thought you had at least five more years before you had to worry about it. You were not ready for this. You ran forward into the room and tried to think of something to do quickly.

“Kelly!” Draco yelled. Some of the Ministry officials stopped, finally alerted to your presence. “Kelly stop!”

Kelly looked up and waved happily at the two of you. You felt your hands begin to shake as she ignored Draco’s command and hopped through the air, laughing loudly at the men still running around the room trying to catch her. You felt scared and overwhelmed. You couldn’t help what happened next.

“Kelly! STOP!!!!!” You shouted. You felt another surge and everybody in the room froze, even Kelly. You marched forward, being careful not to knock into anyone on your way to your daughter. You reached up, your hand permeating the surface of the shield. Your fingers wrapped around her arm and pulled her down onto the floor. Once her feet touched the floor, the blue shield disappeared and she was able to regain her ability to move along with everybody else in the room.

“Miss! You and your daughter need to come with us. Now.” you heard. You flinched as a burly gentleman from the Ministry descended upon you. Kelly ran past the two of you and clutched onto Draco’s leg. He scooped her up protectively.

“Look, I’m really sorry. But she’s only 5! I didn’t expect her to—“

“Because of the unusualness of this case, we must deliver you to the Minister. Immediately.”

“But—“ Before you could get a whole sentence out, the man grabbed your arm.

“Hey! Don’t touch her!” Draco yelled, advancing forward. The man raised his wand to him and he held his free arm up in surrender, holding Kelly securely in his other arm. You pulled your arm away and scanned the faces of each of the men quickly. You felt one of them come up behind you and you jumped. Your eyes connected with his and your mind was flooded with the horrific memory of Bellatrix Lestrange torturing you and your unborn child. After over an hour of withstanding tremendous pain, you passed out. From what Harry told you, you would have died had it not been for a mysterious blue shield that emanated from within you. You chalked it up to another unknown ability you had. But after seeing Kelly running around with that blue shield today, you now knew that it wasn’t you who did it at all. Kelly had protected the both of you.

The man in front of you had been there that night. From the way his lip curled up ever so slightly, you knew he recognized you as well. He was a Death Eater, before the Dark Lord had fallen. You shot a scared glance toward Draco. His eyes widened as he too recognized the former Death Eater.

“I’ll bring them back to the Ministry.” He said toward his fellow Ministry officials.

“Very well, Cyrus.” The other men began Disapparating, and you felt yourself on the verge of hyperventilating as he watched you with a maniacal glint in his eye. Draco’s hand reach toward his pocket slowly for his wand. Cyrus noticed and turned on him. Your eyes narrowed and you knew that you had to act quickly. You lunged to reach Draco and Kelly, but Cyrus held you by your neck and pushed you back. You let out a cry of pain as you were thrown down onto a table, it’s wooden legs buckling and giving out. You felt a piece of the splintered wood break your skin and you held your side, blood flowing onto your hand freely. Your eyes watered at the pain and your vision went blurry. You just made out shapes and light as Draco began to duel with Cyrus.

“Draco Malfoy, if it isn’t the traitor himself! I know many people who will be pleased to hear about your reappearance!” he guffawed as he shot another curse Draco’s way. You rubbed your eyes and sat up, looking frantically around the room for Kelly. Suddenly, you saw a blur of blonde hair shoot out from underneath a desk toward the two dueling men.

“KELLY STOP! NOOOO!!!!” you yelled. You took a deep breath and let out a scream as you yanked out the piece of wood from your side. You scrambled up from the floor and ran toward Kelly, but you were too late. She was already standing in front of Draco.

“AVADA KEDAVRA!”

“NOOOOOO!” you screamed as the spell shot straight at Kelly. Your heart literally stopped. Everything was in slow motion. But Kelly held out her hand in front of her and the spell stopped, hovering in the air directly in front of her. The triumphant smile on Cyrus’ face faded as the spell redirected itself and shot straight up into the ceiling before bursting into a brilliant light display reminiscent of a Muggle firework. While Cyrus was distracted, you grabbed Kelly and Draco’s hands and the three of you Disapparated to the sound of Cyrus’ angry cry of defeat. The classroom disappeared and was replaced with your living room. You collapsed onto the floor and Draco rushed to your side.

“What happened?” he asked. He looked down and gasped at the gash in your side. He took out his wand and levitated you onto the couch. You winced, and Kelly ran up to you.

“Mom? Are you okay?”

“Kelly! Mommy’s fine, sweetie. Go to your room and play. Mommy just needs to rest.” Draco ushered Kelly away to her room and you laid back, closing your eyes and trying to ignore the pain. You knew that it would heal eventually, but you had never been conscious during one of your injuries so you were unsure as to how long it would take.

“It looks like it hurts.” Draco said as he resumed his place by your side. He brought a towel and lifted you as gently as possible to get it underneath you. “Sorry.”

“It’s fine.” You said through gritted teeth.

“It’s not. We should get you to the hospital.”

“I can heal myself, Draco. Remember?” you said. He nodded, but he still looked worried. “Draco, what do we do now? Cyrus knows who we are. He knows what Kelly can do!”

“Calm down. We can’t do anything about this until you are healed.”

“But if he finds us—“

“He won’t.”

He took your hand in his and sat next to you. You couldn’t relax. It was as if all your worse fears were realized at once. Draco tried to soothe you, but he even looked scared about what being found by Cyrus meant for all of you. You looked down at his forearm, his Dark Mark completely visible. Your past was catching up with you now, and it wasn’t just you at risk. Your innocent daughter was as well.

“We need to go to Hogwarts.”

“What?”

“We need protection. We need to protect Kelly. Who knows what more she will do?”

“You’re right.” He nodded in agreement. You grimaced as a stinging pain shot up your side. You looked down to see your skin slowly moving together, closing up. Your eyes widened in fascination at seeing it. You’ve never seen this before. Draco watched too, all the way until your skin was intact. You sat up slowly, still really sore.

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I think I’m fine.” You smiled. Suddenly he leaned forward and hugged you tightly. For the first time, you let your guard down and your emotions overtook you. You began to cry into his shoulder.

“It’ll be okay.” He soothed you.

“W-w-when that curse shot toward Kelly…” you trailed off, shaking your head at the horrible thought of what could have been. He held you in his arms on the couch, and you looked up into his eyes. He was tearing up too.

“I can stay tonight. If you want me to...” he said softly. You wanted nothing more than to say no. But Harry wouldn’t be back until next week, and you didn’t feel safe. You nodded slowly, then you lowered your head to rest on his chest. Healing yourself left you feeling weak and tired. Draco carried you into the bedroom and laid you down gently. He bent over you and kissed you softly on the forehead. You were so tired, you didn’t have the strength to protest it. But you found that you didn’t really want to.