A Child Changes Everything. [The Plan]

Kelly’s arms swung back and forth, drool escaping from her mouth and landing on Draco’s shoulder. She nodded off in the library while Draco was reading to her, so he volunteered to take her back up to her room for a nap, leaving Kris to continue her research. He opened the door as quietly as he could and set her down atop her pink princess comforter. She stirred in her sleep but didn’t wake as he pulled a blanket over her. When he shut the door quietly behind him, he was taken by surprise at the knock that came at the front door. His heart skipped a beat. Kris wouldn’t knock. He took out his wand instinctually, his fingers grasping the wood tightly in anticipation of a fight. When the door swung open to reveal Harry Potter standing in the doorway, he didn’t immediately drop his guard. He kept his hand on his wand; unsure of what Harry had come here to do.

“Kris isn’t here.” He said shortly.

“Well that’s good. I was hoping to avoid her.” He said, stepping in and closing the door. “I came to see Kelly.”

“Oh… Well I just put her down for a nap.”

“Of course… Well, perhaps it’s for the best. It gives us a chance to get everything out in the open.” His demeanor was a little too cool for Draco’s liking. He kept a firm grip on his wand.

“Listen Harry, before you start—”

“No, I think I’ll just start.” He interrupted, the first hint of anger revealing itself in his voice’s inflection. “You knew that if you came back, they would find her. But you did it anyway. Why can’t you just let her be happy, Malfoy?”

“It’s more than that!” he started to defend but was immediately cut off again.

“All you had to do was stick to the plan! But you just couldn’t do that, could you?!” he yelled. Draco cast his eyes down, ashamed. Harry came up so that he was directly in his face. “Do you recall the fact that I caught you, Draco? Five years ago you were in a holding cell in Azkaban. And you should have rotted there for the rest of your pathetic life! But I got you out. I put my job on the line and I got you out of life in prison! I even kept it out of the press! And that was no easy feat. Did all of that just conveniently slip your mind?”

“Of course not!”

“And then I told you everything about Kris and the danger she was in!”

“Yes you did. Conveniently leaving out the part about me having a daughter, by the way.” Draco growled angrily.

“That wasn’t my secret to tell and you know it.” He said, stepping away from him to calm himself. “Look, the point is this. We had a plan and it was working.”

“Yeah, maybe it was working for you!” Draco exploded, his hands shaking in rage. “Meanwhile, I was the one outcast from the good guys, and betraying the group of unsavory people that at least accepted me. Yes, I lied to help you hide Kris. But when the Death Eaters found out what I was doing, I was marked a traitor in both circles. But I still kept to our little plan, staying in hiding and slowly drinking myself to death and drowning in my own depression so that you and Kris could play house! But I couldn’t do that anymore!”

“Oh please, Malfoy! You were just being selfish like you always are!” Harry snarled.

“Watch it, Potter!” Draco yelled, finally pulling out his wand on him. They both squared off, ready to duel when a creak of a door opening broke them from their trance.

“Uncle Harry?” Kelly said tiredly, rubbing her eyes. The two men both quickly put their wands down, not wanting to see the young girl who admired them both so much in that position. She focused in on Harry and a wide smile spread on her face. She squealed and ran up to him, jumping into his arms and squeezing him tightly.

“Hey Kelly Belly.” He said. He shot a last scowl in Draco’s direction before smiling toward Kelly.

“Oh Uncle Harry, I’ve missed you so much!” she began, talking a mile a minute as he carried her back toward the bedroom. She regaled him on tales of her adventures in the castle since she arrived, and he smiled and laughed along with her.

“Listen sweetie, I can’t stay long but I wanted to give you something.” He said and then the door closed with a soft click behind him. Draco collapsed onto the sofa, Harry’s words still processing. He looked around the quiet Room of Requirement. If he hadn’t come back, they would be in their home right now, not having to fear for their lives. Maybe Harry was right. Had he been selfish, coming back and uprooting both their lives?