A Child Changes Everything. [Ambushed]

You packed up what little clothes you managed to wrangle up for your family while fleeing from one location to another into a small drawstring bag that Hermione lent you. You were so nervous about leaving. You felt trapped, with only your anxiety to keep you company. You couldn’t help but question every decision you made, knowing that the wrong one could put your daughter at risk.

“You alright?” You jumped at the sound of Draco’s voice behind you. You hadn’t even heard him enter the room, you were so wrapped up in your thoughts. 

“Uh huh. Yeah…” You said, biting your lip. You examined the remaining items lined up on the bed, deciding which ones were of necessity.

“We have to get going. Harry and his team will be here any minute.” 

“I think I’m ready.” You shoveled the last few items in and synched the bag closed. Kelly lay on the bed, snuggled in between mountains of pillows. She snored quietly, clutching her doll against her chest. You sat next to her and rocked her gently until her eyes opened.

“What’s going on?” 

“We are going on a trip.”

“Another one?” she asked tiredly. It pained you to hear the exasperation in her voice, but you kept your smile in place. 

“Yes, to a new and exciting place.”

“Not home?” 

“No, sweetie. C’mon, get dressed.”

She stood up, still wiping her eyes as you helped her to get ready. Draco watched out the window for anyone Apparating out front. Kelly yawned loudly, and you felt horrible for making her wake before the sun. 

“It’s time.” Draco pointed toward the clock on the nightstand. Harry left the previous night on assignment. You suspected it had something to do with Thomas Ellington, but he refused to let you in on any details. He said he would arrive with his transport team at 4 a.m. but the front of the house remained deserted. You peered out through the window.

“Strange.” You said more to yourself than anyone.

“She’s coming from the back door, silly.” Kelly said, hopping off the bed. 

“What?” you whipped your head around as she ran out of the bedroom. You sprinted after her, grabbing her arm just as it reached up to open the back entrance. At the exact same moment, a quiet knock sounded as someone stood on the other side waiting to be let in. You covered Kelly’s mouth and Draco pushed his way in front of you. 

“Who is it?” you whispered to him as quietly as you could manage. 

“Can’t tell.” Draco replied, trying to peer through one of the many tiny cracks in the wood. Suddenly, a voice spoke through the door, just loud enough for you to hear.

“Harry Potter’s sent me to extract you, miss.” The woman’s voice was velvety smooth as she explained, and you could tell she was leaning in to the door so as not to be heard. “The name’s Charlie. I’m here to escort you down the hill with my brother Drew. We got a portkey set up down there.”

Draco raised an eyebrow toward you. You shook your head, not believing it. Harry would have come up himself. Moving Kelly was too important to him to hand off to whoever these people were. 

“I swear miss. Harry’s right down the hill waiting. Said something about securing the perimeter.” 

But you and Draco were already making your way stealthily toward the front door. You sank down to your knees, and you motioned for Kelly to do the same.