A Child Changes Everything. [Held Hostage]

“Thanks for coming over, Hermione.” The two of you sat on the couch in your apartment, two glasses of wine on the coffee table in front of you. Kelly wanted to spend the night in the fort at Draco’s house. You said no at first, trying to avoid being in the same room with Draco. But it was the weekend, and you didn’t think it was fair to keep her from Draco because of your own drama. In order to avoid getting propositioned into spending the night yourself, you said you had plans with Hermione. On the drive home, you decided that the initial lie wasn’t a bad idea and called up your friend.

“No problem. I haven’t seen you in a while.”

“I know, things have been so crazy since Draco has been around.”

“Yeah… Draco. I’ve been meaning to ask you about that.”

“Later. How was your trip to Paris?” you asked quickly, trying to avoid the subject.

“It was… great.” She said, narrowing her eyes at your discomfort. “I loved the sight-seeing. I could tell toward the end of the trip that Ron would have rather stayed and ate at the cafes all day.”

“Oh Ronald, could you expect any less from him?” you laughed. She chuckled as well but her smile was instantly replaced by a look of concern. You took a big gulp of wine in preparation of what was about to come your way.

“Draco has really been helping a lot with Kelly, I hear.”

“Yes, he has. It’s great, him getting to know her. He really is proud to be a father.”

“That’s good…” she said. You both sipped your wine in silence. Finally, you decided that this conversation was getting way too drawn out.

“Hermione, if you have something to say just say it.” You snapped a little more harshly than you meant to.

“Okay! I love you Kris, but I’ve been your friend long enough to know how this goes. Draco is back and I can see a change in you. And I’m not the only one.”

“Has Harry said something to you?” you asked quietly.

“No, but I know he’s worried. And he has a good reason to be, based on past experience.”

“What is that supposed to mean?”

“It means that in the past, if you had to choose between Draco and Harry, you always chose Draco.”

The timing of this conversation couldn’t have been worse. You already felt horrible for kissing Draco, and ever since the kiss you have been struggling with the decision that you had to make now. The one thing you did know for sure was that you didn’t plan on letting it happen again while Harry was out of town. You could not live with yourself if you betrayed him like that. What was even more horrible was that even though Harry was on your mind, you didn’t trust yourself alone in a room with Draco. You didn’t know what you would do in the heat of the moment.

“I take it by your silence that we aren’t totally off base in our assumptions…?” Hermione asked. She dropped the accusatory tone she had for that of a concerned friend.

“No…” you said. Then you burst into tears. Hermione pulled you into a hug, trying to soothe you as you cried into her shoulder.

“Did something happen between you two?”

“Yes.” You sniffed. She leaned back and watched you intently. “I-I didn’t w-want it to! K-Kelly Apparated to his house, Hermione! And she c-c-called him dad! It j-j-just happened, I don’t even k-know—“ She shushed you and pulled you into a hug again. She didn’t respond until you stopped crying.