A Child Changes Everything. [Second Time's A Charm]

The smell of bacon wafted through the tiny cottage. Your eyes snapped open as a clatter of pots came from the kitchen, jolting up and grabbing your wand from the nightstand. The room was dim, the sun just beginning to rise and shine through the thin curtains of the bedroom window. Draco lay next to you, dead asleep, Kelly curled up next to him. You smiled at the sight; they both slept the same way, arms and legs sprawled out and mouths agape. Then you turned your attention back to the noises and mouth-watering aromas coming from the kitchen.

Tip-toeing down the narrow hallway, you poked your head out into the kitchen and your heart leapt with excitement as your suspicions were confirmed. A Harry Potter breakfast was in progress. Harry stood in front of the stove, moving expertly around the tiny kitchen as he whipped up eggs, toast, bacon, ham and pancakes. 

“Yes! I’ve gone too long without this.” You said, sitting at the island. As if churning out an order at a diner, Harry whipped around and slid a plate in front of you filled with all of your favorites. You took a bit of pancake, the melted butter and sweet syrup filling your tummy with warmth and happiness. He came around to where you sat, carrying two cups of coffee with him. You took one, your fingers grazing his slightly. Trying your best not to make it awkward between you two, you smiled and took a sip without a word.

“Well, I’m glad you like it.” He sat and tucked into his own breakfast next to you. “So, what’s Kris Rogers’ next move?” 

“I… I honestly have no idea.” You realized in between bites of egg. You had no clue what to do now. The thought of the parking garage incident happening again left you sick to your stomach. You couldn’t put Kelly at risk like that again.

“Well, I think you should stay here. You and Kelly both need to stay protected. You’ve given us a lot to go on about Thomas Ellington. Let us find him. We find him, and then you two don’t have to worry. You can go back to having a normal life.” 

“We will never go back to the way things were. Kelly knows about this world now. She will want to be a part of it.”

“So let her.” He said simply. You sighed, knowing that was probably what was best. Obviously avoiding magic all this time did absolutely nothing to protect either of you. But it almost felt foreign to you after so many years. Even holding your wand felt unnatural. 

“She would be great at Hogwarts.”

“Top of her class. Hands down.” Harry agreed. “And imagine her with the Marauder’s Map? She would own the place!” 

“No way! Harry I forbid you to give her that wretched map!” you said seriously. 

“Why? We had loads of fun using it!”

There it was again. The awkwardness. The past creeping up on you both. Harry cast his eyes back down at his breakfast, focusing on how best to eat his pancakes. Suddenly, a knock came to the front door. You jumped, startled and relieved at the same time for the interruption.

“Relax.” Harry assured you, getting up. “I called some friends to come as extra protection. They are specialists, trained and experienced in these types of situations.” He pulled open the front door and you let out a deafening squeal of delight at the sight of Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley. You ran to Hermione, squeezing her half to death. 

“Oi! Watch it before I go deaf, woman.” Ron laughed, and you gave him a hug as well.

“Oh I’ve missed you both!” You were as giddy as a schoolgirl coming back for another year at Hogwarts and being reunited with your friends after a long summer break. You heard a bang from down the hallway and turned to see Draco stumbling out, half asleep.