A Child Changes Everything. [Conspiracy Theories]

“Are you sure you don’t want to stay the night? Get a fresh start in the morning?” Luna asked as she walked you to the front door.

“Yeah, Mom! Let’s stay!” Kelly ran out from behind you toward the living room. Draco grabbed her and she giggled happily as he threw her over his shoulder. 

“Thank you Luna, but we can’t. Lunch was wonderful, though!” You gave Luna an appreciative hug. Draco gave a polite wave, still balancing Kelly on his shoulder. “Tell Neville we say hi.”

As soon as you stepped outside, Draco Apparated the three of you to Liverpool. You stumbled slightly, landing in a dark and deserted alleyway. You pinched your nose immediately as a rancid smell hit your nostrils. You found that it emanated from a dumpster directly behind you. 

“Ew.” Kelly said, mimicking you and pinching her little nose.

Light traffic made its way leisurely down the tree lined street as the three of you stepped out into the sunlight. Draco managed to Apparate you within a few blocks of the address Luna gave you. Draco slid his fingers in between yours as you strolled down the street, Kelly leading you as her eyes explored the new surroundings. You smiled, squeezing his hand. This was how you imagined your life would be if you didn’t have to worry about people coming after you. You and Draco taking relaxing morning strolls to the park. Kelly would play on the swings and the two of you would sit and watch her, chatting about anything and everything over coffee. You sighed, inwardly wishing that this life would come soon. You came to a stop, glancing down at the slip of paper Luna gave you. You had reached your destination. Artie Huggins, 48 Kirby Lane, Liverpool, England. 

Artie Huggins’ house was the epitome of a failed writer’s domain. To say it was a hole in the wall was an understatement. You had to do a double take when you first walked up, not seeing the house number due to a plant holder hanging up next to the door. The front door’s red paint was chipping and worn off. The house didn’t even look much wider than the doorway itself. It was as if the architect decided to stuff another house between numbers 49 and 47 to make an extra buck. You went to step up the stairs when Draco held out his arm to stop you. You smiled as he moved in front of you to ring the bell. It was cute, him being so protective.

As soon as he hit the buzzer, you heard a ruckus from behind the door. Grumbling, clanking of bottles and loud coughing were only a few of the sounds you managed to make out clearly. Kelly moved back, clutching your right leg and Draco’s left as she shrank in between the two of you. You put a comforting hand on her head, stroking her soft blonde hair. Finally, the door pulled open abruptly and the smell of cigarette smoke wafted out of the tiny flat. 

“Oi! Who’re you?” the man asked somewhat rudely. He was bald and unshaven, and he held a beer can in one hand. His plain white T-shirt had an orange stain in the middle, giving off the impression that he dropped some sort of food onto his protruding beer belly. Based on the color, you guessed it was nachos.

“Artie Huggins?” Draco asked uncertainly.

“Who’s askin?” 

Draco shot you a weary look, and you couldn’t blame him. At first glance, Artie Huggins didn’t look like he would be much help at all.

“Hello, my name is Kris Rogers.” You stepped forward, holding out a hand. He took it, shaking it roughly. “I came to ask you about a subject you seem very knowledgeable about. Progeniti?” 

Artie let out a snort and took a swig out of his beer can. When it was empty he crushed it in his hand and threw it out onto his front yard. 

“Haven’t you heard? I’m just an old whack job!” He shot out his hands in an erratic fashion at the words whack job. Kelly yelped in fear and, before you could react, her protective shield engulfed the three of you. Artie’s mouth slackened in amazement.