A Child Changes Everything. [I Need To Quit You]

You woke up to Draco tracing his finger along your wrist. It tickled, and you moved your arm away instinctually.

“I’m sorry. Did I wake you?” 

“No, it’s fine.” You smiled, sitting up and pulling the sheets up to cover your bare chest. He leaned back against the headboard, watching you. You glanced at the clock on the nightstand. 3:23 a.m.

“I’m going to be so tired in the morning.” You shrugged. Draco leaned over the edge of the bed, grabbing his jeans from the floor and fishing through his pockets until he pulled out a pack of cigarettes and put one in his mouth. Your fingers twitched in anticipation at the sight of it. He offered you one. You knew you should resist but you found yourself taking it anyway. He held out his wand and a flame ignited at the tip. You puffed and let the smoke fill your lungs. You felt both happy and sad at the feeling.

“We really should quit.” He said. 

“Yes, we should.” You leaned into him. He wrapped an arm around your shoulders and began tracing your skin with his fingertips again. You both sat in a contemplative silence as you smoked. You felt curiosity bubble within you as you watched him. Where had he been? What had he done?

“Draco? Why exactly do the Death Eaters hate you so much?” you asked tentatively. Draco’s mouth tightened. He obviously didn’t like to be reminded of that life.

“They knew about our relationship. I told them we broke up but they were trying to use me to get to you. They tortured me for a very long time. I probably would still be a prisoner there if it weren’t for my mother. She risked her life to get me out of there and into hiding.

“Draco… I-I didn’t know.”

“Don’t blame yourself. It’s not your fault.”

“I know but I just can’t help but feel to blame.” You felt horrible. He looked so pained as he spoke, almost as if he were reliving the last 5 years in his mind.

“I got through it. And now I’ve found you. I just wish I could have found you sooner. Potter did a pretty damn good job hiding the two of you all these years.” He said absentmindedly. At the mention of Harry, you suddenly felt extremely uncomfortable. You scooted out of bed and pulled on some sweats and a t-shirt. As you moved past the window, the engagement ring on your finger caught the moonlight and sparkled. You looked down at it, and you felt dirty wearing it. Then you turned to Draco.

“I think I should go to bed now. Alone.” You said quietly. Draco raised an eyebrow but did not question you.

“Alright.” He said. He got up but instead of getting dressed he walked straight up to you. You averted your eyes to anywhere but his naked body. He took your hand in his and kissed the top of it, a long forgotten gentlemanly gesture that left you stunned. He smiled. “Goodnight, Kris.”

“G-Goodnight.” You choked out. Then he scooped up his clothes and walked out to the living room where his couch awaited him. You collapsed onto your bed. If you weren’t confused enough before, you were most definitely confused now. Your eyes traveled to the ring on your left hand. You slid it off of your finger and set it in the top drawer of the nightstand, shutting it away and out of sight.

*           *           *           *

It was such a beautiful day out that morning. You walked with Draco and Kelly across the grounds, the wind hitting your face and blowing strands of hair into your eyes. Kelly woke the two of you up early that morning and wouldn’t leave you alone until you agreed to show her all the magical things in the castle. You decided that while the weather was nice you would visit the lake and the Quidditch pitch. School wasn’t in session so you didn’t have to deal with any students, which you were extremely grateful for.