A Child Changes Everything. [The Answer]

"He didn't like me too much, Mommy." Kelly said, putting her crayons into her backpack. Draco had just left, and you were sitting on Kelly's bed while she got ready for school.

"Of course he did." you said softly, beckoning for her to come to you.

"He didn't talk much."

"Well, he's just shy." you said, picking up a brush and brushing out her hair softly.

"How do you know him?" she continued questioning. You looked down at her.

"He's Mommy's friend from school."

"He's really tall." she said, motioning upward. You smiled.

"Yes he is."

"Is he--" she began, but stopped.

"Is he what?" you asked, pulling her hair up in a ponytail.

"Never mind."

"No. What?" you asked, turning her around to face you. She seemed conflicted, but then she forced herself to ask.

"Is he my dad?"

You couldn't help but be shocked. You knew the resemblance was strong, but you didn't expect a 5 year old to make the connection so quickly. Of course, she knows Harry isn't her father. You always wondered how often she thought about who her father was.

"Yes." you said softly. She smiled.

"Is he coming back tomorrow?" she asked.

"I’m not sure."

"Oh. Okay." she said, then she sat back in her bed and closed her eyes. Just like that. At that moment, you wished you were only 5 years old. You got up and kissed her on the forehead. Making sure to close the door quietly, you turned to see Harry sitting on the couch.

"That was... interesting." he said. You sat next to him.

"She figured it out." you said, half-smiling.

"I always knew she was too smart for a 5 year old." he muttered. You laughed, hugging a pillow to your body.

"I just... don't know where to go from here."

"Asking him would be a good start." Harry said.

"Yeah I know." you sighed. Harry scooted next to you and wrapped his arms around you.

"I know this is hard." he said, comforting you.

"Harry, you know I love you right?" you asked quietly. He pulled away from you and looked into your eyes.

"Yes."

"Then why is this happening? Why can't I just let go?" you asked him.

"Because a piece of him will always be with you." he answered. You sighed, then snuggled into Harry.

"Just stay with me for a little while."

You sat in silence, but not an uncomfortable silence. You felt yourself drifting asleep, wishing life was easier.

*    *    *    *

You woke up on the couch next Harry. You knew that he wouldn't leave you, and you smiled down at his sleeping form. You hated adding to his pain. His parents, Sirius... all gone. And you were adding to it. For what? Draco? You didn't tell him you were pregnant because he was a drug addict and on the run. Then he left for years... How could you be putting Harry through this when he's been there all along? You got up slowly, making sure not to wake him. You went to the bedroom and pulled the engagement ring Harry had given you from your jewelry box. You held it out for a second before you were sure. You went back out to the living room quickly.

"Harry." you whispered. He stirred, but didn't wake. You shook him a little and his eyes opened.

"Hey." you whispered.

"Hi." he said, sitting up. You leaned in and kissed him lovingly, then you pulled your lips away a fraction of an inch so that you could speak.

"Ask me." you said, smiling.

"What?" he asked, not understanding.

"Ask me again..." you whispered, placing the ring into his hand lightly. He looked down at it, then back up at you. He smiled, then took your hand.

"Will you marry me?" he asked, sliding the ring onto your ring finger. You kissed him again. You could feel his longing for you as he took you in his arms, finally able to touch you.

"Yes. Harry. I will marry you."