History Journal 1: Origins

(A/N: I decided to make the history of Makoto's powers as something of its own so it's easier for me to write lol. WARNING: Minor manga spoilers ahead! The origins I'm making up are very different from the original AOT, once you read ahead, you'll understand!)

The origins of hybrids themselves started out as an experiment. After the ruler Eldians, Fritz, attacked and enslaved the village Ymir (Ymir Fritz) originally was in, people were selected to be endured into Experiment Crossover.

Experiment Crossover was an experiment to create a race that would be perfect for labor work. The result was to cross specific animal genetics with the human genes to enhance one's ability. To do this, pregnant women were experimented on so their children would carry these genes. 

Since the beginning, hybrids were created for slavery. They worked under humans and were seen as lesser. Many hybrids were worked or beaten to death due to the mistreatment. Using hybrids as slaves soon caught on with the other regions and hybrid slave treating became popular.

One day, a young fox hybrid had escaped his master after slipping through a crack. With a group of poachers and hunting dogs chasing him, the boy ran into the woods. Desperate to find a hiding spot, he spotted a large, abnormal tree with a hole he could hide in. Without registering how deep the hole would be, he stepped in and lost his footing, falling in. 

Similar to how Ymir Fritz obtained her powers, the boy fell into a pool of liquid and was fused with a spine-like creature that caused him to transform into the first Animal Titan.

With his newfound powers, he lived out in the woods by himself. He made a promise to never go back to his old life. The boy gave himself the name Wind as a symbol of his freedom. 

While living out in the woods, people would go through the forest to trade or travel. He heard from eavesdropping on a pair of travelers that the hybrids started a revolution against the Eldian King for more rights. This started revolutions in other places as well.

Wind knew he was basically untouchable with his powers. With that advantage, he finally left the woods to travel to different regions to aid in the protests. 

He was made well-known in one particular protest in Eldia. When the king ordered Ymir Fritz shift and to kill the hybrids for "disobeying the leader", Wind used his powers to fight against the titan. 

The sight of the First Titan and a Fox Titan fighting was a scene that was forever written down in history. While the battle was close, the Fox Titan managed to win the battle. Compared to the titan, the fox was much faster. 

The battle was a turning tide for the hybrids because the other regions began to fear for their own safety. Not wanting the Fox Titan to attack them as well, they made it a law that it was illegal to have hybrids as slaves. Eldia soon followed despite Fritz's hesitation. 

People began to call Wind "The Kitsune", and was admired as a hero

As Wind grew older, he eventually fell in love with a wolf hybrid he met at a library. The two got married and had 2 daughters. When hybrids of different animals have children, the child will inherit either one of their parents' hybrid traits. In this case, his older daughter named Esme, was a wolf hybrid, while his younger daughter, Serenity, was a fox hybrid.

Unlike Ymir Fritz, Wind lived out his entire life and died happily with his family by his side. 

For a Titan shifter's power to be inherited, one has to eat him/her. While that still implies to Animal Titans, the powers can still be passed on through bloodline. Out of Wind's two children, Esme was the one who had inherited the power. If passed through a family bloodline, the power can skip over generations before appearing again.

If the power isn't inherited by blood, one can still gain the power by consuming the spine of an Animal Titan Shifter. There have been cases of this occurring. Animal Titans do not suffer the same curse as the Nine Titans. They can live a full life, but this does not make them immortal. The animal they shift is based on what kind of hybrid they are, the abilities are what they inherit.

There are only 6 Animal Titan Shifters.

(Fun Fact: Makoto is a good singer and excellent cook. But she rarely sings and when she does, she only sings in front of people she trusts deeply.)