Chapter 14

It took weeks of discussions until the generals agreed to allow Makoto to train alongside Eren and Makoto became a member of the Survey Corps at age 17 after three years of joining the training corps. Hanji continues to run tests on Eren but they were nothing like the tests Makoto had to endure. She hates that Eren gets it easy and everyone treated them differently. Whenever Eren and Hanji are testing, Makoto will keep her distance and sit far away. Eren is fully aware of the different treatments they recieve and would feel nervous around Makoto since he thinks she has a grudge against him. 

Makoto watches as Hanji runs another test on Eren. Eren can feel Makoto's eyes on him, making him grow nervous, making him almost stumble on his own two feet. Makoto rolls her eyes at his clumsiness and feels someone tap her shoulder. She turns her head to see Petra looking at her.

"What do you want?" Makoto asks coldly, turning her attention back on Eren and Hanji.

Makoto was aware that Petra was one of the people who demanded the experiment to stop but it didn't mean Makoto isn't mad at her. It's a possibility that she had heard of the experiments Makoto was a part of but didn't do anything about it until everything got out.

Makoto can sense how anxious Petra was standing beside her causing Makoto to sigh in irritation before turning her head again to face her. "What do you want?" She repeated herself.

Petra looks down to her feet and shifts in her spot. "Sorry, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable." She says softly. Makoto narrows her eyes a bit at the smaller girl but looks away again. Standing there in silence, the two observe Eren going through his test. 

In the distance, Eren is complaining about how sore his arm is and that he needs a break, drawing a small growl of annoyance from Makoto. 

"You can't really blame him you know. I know you're annoyed but he's still new to this." Petra says, breaking the silence between them. 

"Excuse me?" 

Petra's eyes widen as she realises her mistake, "I didn't it to offend you! I-" 

"Why the hell are you defending him? Because he's your so-called 'last hope for humanity'?" Makoto snaps, cutting her off. Makoto turns to face her, moving closer and jabbing a finger at her chest. "Maybe I am annoyed at him. Why does he have the right to complain and wail about his small injuries and how tired he is? Whenever I complained, I got tasered or whipped?" 

Petra's eyes fill with fear and regret. "I'm really sorry you had to go through that Makoto. I really didn't mean to offend you in any way." She says, keeping her voice steady and calm.

Makoto stares at her before scoffing and moving away from her, "Whatever."

Makoto sits down on the grass, sighing as she rests her head in her hands, stressing over everything that's happening around her. Petra quietly takes a seat beside her, placing a hand on her arm causing Makoto to flinch and tense up. She gently squeezes her arm reassuringly, allowing Makoto to relax slightly.

"I know it's unfair that Eren gets it easy while you went through so much more. I really didn't know those things were happening to you. A lot of us didn't." Petra says but doesn't receive a response from the other girl. Petra sighs and leans against her, resting her weight on her.

"What are you doing?" Makoto demands, not looking at her.

"Just let me enjoy this okay? I just wanna relax." Petra says, her voice gentle and soothing. Makoto didn't feel like putting up another fight so she allows the smaller girl to rest against her.

Petra smiles and moves closer, closing her eyes as her muscles loosen. Makoto wouldn't admit it but it feels nice to have someone beside you. 

Makoto soon gets bored of watching Eren train and begins to feel sleepy. She yawns and starts to doze off due to her lack of sleep. Having nightmares almost every night ever since she escaped the torturous place keeps her up at night and makes it impossible for her to fall back asleep.

She looks over to Petra to see her sound asleep with her head resting against her shoulder. Her arms wrapped loosely around Makoto's as her chest rise and fall peacefully. Makoto tries to shake her head to keep herself away but she can feel herself grow more tired at every passing moment. She finally gives in and closes her eyes as well, falling asleep against Petra and taking in her warmth and scent. 

A couple of hours later, Eren finally completes his tests and lays on the grass panting. He looks over to where Makoto is sitting and realises that she has fallen asleep with Petra leaning against her. Her tail lazily wrapped around Petra's waist as they leaned against each other for support. 

Eren can't help but smile since he knew how much she was going through and the pain she had to deal with. He's also aware of the nightmares she gets since Mikasa would tell him in the morning. Eren would report to Kyouko, keeping her updated on Makoto's health and well-being since the two sisters still aren't talking with each other. 

Eren sits up and stretches out his sore muscles before standing up. He can see out of the corner of his eye, Hanji staring at Petra and Makoto, her grip on her clipboard tightening. Eren decides not to push anything in case Hanji might force him to do more tests. 

Something about seeing the both of them is causing a pit feeling in Hanji's stomach.