Chapter 13

Makoto grits her teeth as she glares up at the priest, feeling the cold metal of the pistol press against her head.  

"Stop!! Leave her alone!" Kyouko cries out as she struggles against the restraints. 

The priest looks down at her with a smug look on his face. "Why are you so angry? You should be happy! I'm doing you a favor! I'm ending your sufferings and cleansing your demonic existence from this world!" He shouts. "You think you could live among the rest of us like you were normal?! Never! You're a monster! The devil itself!" He continues on, "And it's not just me who sees you like this! No! Everyone else does! Why else did you think they kept you as the experiment while the boy gets praised?" 

Makoto stays silent, contemplating his words. 

Why did they let Eren go? Why was it me?

"Both you and the boy transform into monsters and yet, you're the one they saw as violent. Destructive. Murderous. Demonic. While you suffer in their hands, the boy is trained and praised by everyone! He's the hero! But you? Oh no. Everyone forgot about who you are. Even your little sister." He sneers as he glances over to Kyouko. 

"I almost feel bad for you," He sighs. "No one even cared about your disappearance. I'm sure they wouldn't care if you were gone forever. Hated by so many. And yet loved by none." 

Makoto looks down at the dirt, unable to keep her gaze up. She knew what he was saying was true, she just wished it wasn't. 

"Any famous last words?" He mocks as he presses the pistol harder against her head. She finally looks up at him and spits at his face. He gags in disgust, wiping the spit off.

"Fuck you, old man." Makoto says, clenching her teeth. 

He grinds his teeth as he shouts, "How dare you!!" He lifts his foot up and kicks her on the side of the face. His foot makes contact with her stomach as he repeatedly kicks her. Makoto could taste the blood in her mouth as he continued to rain blows on her. When he finally stops, Makoto falls over, coughing blood. 

"Stop it please!" Kyouko shouts, her cries growing more frantic.

The priest points the pistol down at Makoto, his expression sadistic and crazy. "No one's going to save you now."

She shuts her eyes, waiting for the inevitable. A loud bang of a gun rings through a forest and a scream of horror from Kyouko. 

Makoto expects a bullet to hit her head but nothing came. She slowly opens her eyes to see Ymir wrestling down the priest while Mikasa, Armin, and Jean has their swords pointed at the other men and Eren is untying Kyouko from her constraints. 

"You filthy religious freak!" Ymir shouts and socks him in the jaw before kicking him in the side of the stomach. The priest holds her stomach in pain as he tries to shout, "Retreat men! Retreat!" He quickly makes his escape with the other men following behind him. 

Eren, Mikasa, Armin, and Jean gathers around Kyouko to ask if she was alright.

Makoto tries to sit up but she slumps back on the ground, still in her restraints. "Hey. Don't push yourself." Annie says as she walks over to Makoto, crouching beside her. She carefully cuts the restrains off and helps Makoto sit up. Surprisingly, Annie was gentle when helping Makoto. 

Makoto remains quiet and Annie takes a seat next to her. "Thanks for saving me... again." Makoto says quietly. 

Ymir walks over and sits on the other side of Makoto, "Hey. I'm sorry that all of this happened to you. They told us you were fine and that we shouldn't worry. Some of us knew that something was off and wanted to investigate but the shortie that Eren always follows around told us off." 

Makoto doesn't respond to her or look at her. Ymir sighs, "I know you don't believe me but... you're one of the only people I actually enjoy having around or at least I don't find irritating. And I wouldn't want shit like that to happen to you."

Makoto finally gives her a small nod, acknowledging her words, making Ymir smile.

Kyouko gulps nervously and gathers her confidence to approach Makoto. "Hey Makoto... Are you okay?" Kyouko says. 

Makoto looks up at the others who look afraid. She ignores her and stands up, wincing in pain and causing Kyouko to look at her concerned. Annie provides her support while Ymir follow behind as everyone begins to mount their horses.

"Take my horse," Annie says to Makoto. "I'll be fine on ground."

Makoto nods in thanks before getting on the horse while Annie held onto horse's bridle. Makoto didn't feel like talking to anyone, especially not after everything that has happen to her. Annie makes her horse fall behind everyone so it was just the two of them. Ymir would glance back from time to time to check up on her.

Makoto leans against the horse, feeling every part of her body sting and ache. She closes her eyes and sighs.

~A month later~

The truth spread like wildfire. Everyone knows about experiment and torture Makoto went through. Makoto ends up joining the Survey Crop but refuses to talk to anyone, not even Kyouko. During this time, Makoto's birthday happened and she turned 17. Sadly, she didn't feel like celebrating and spent the entire day working out. 

 The priest is left unpunished since he's protected by the church. The experiment has been stopped after Hanji argue with the other generals with Petra and Nanaba as back up. 

When it came to meals, Makoto would be by herself because everyone else is afraid to approach her. When they eat, Makoto will take the table farthest away from everyone else. She doesn't allow anyone to sit with her, not even Kyouko. 

The only exceptions she has made is with Annie. She only trains with Annie and would sometimes allow her to sit with her during meal time. They often just sit in silence and eat but the two didn't mind.

Rumors were spread around that the reason why Makoto refused to speak with Kyouko was that she felt that the bond they had for years was broken.  

Kyouko would watch Makoto and feel guilty, upset, or anger. But the anger was directed towards herself. She hated herself for letting Makoto get hurt. She just wants her sister back.

Nanaba, Petra, Hanji, Eren, and other generals decided to come up with a plan to convince Levi and Erwin to let Makoto train with Eren. 

Makoto's hatred for humans was burning brighter than a wildfire now. She wants to kill all of them. She hates every single one. 

She wants to watch them bleed and scream for mercy.

She wants revenge on every single one.

She wants to have every single human murdered by her bare hands.