Chapter 33

(A/N: Boom double update)

Makoto watches as the group of four whisper with one another. It's hard to just ignore them when they're sitting at the table in front of you.

Sasha taps her shoulder, causing Makoto to glance at her.

"Are you okay? You've been staring at them for a while." Sasha asks concerned.

"I'm fine. Just a bit on edge," Makoto brushes off as she continues to eat her meal, keeping her eyes on her food rather than on her sister and the trio.

Makoto yawns as she walks out the cafeteria, stretching a bit. Surprisingly, training was cancelled for some unknown reason. Makoto didn't try to ask why, she just knew that she could use that time for a nap.

Just as she was going to head back to her cabin, Armin approaches her from behind and taps her back. "U-Um Makoto?" He starts off nervously.

Makoto turns her head slightly, looking down at the blond boy as her wolf ears twitch in irritation. "What do you want, coconut head?" Makoto growls, annoyed that the boy was stopping her from going to take a nap.

Armin swallows and musters up the courage to speak again, "I'm sorry to bother you but can you come with us?" He signals back to Mikasa, Eren, and Kyouko.

"Why should I come with you? I want a nap." Makoto retorted.

"Please Makoto! It's really important.. Kyouko really wants you to go." He adds on.

Makoto looks at her sister who gives her puppy eyes and flattens her ears back. Makoto sighs and pinches the bridge of her nose, "Fine. Let's just get this over with."

-

The five of them walk into town, Makoto following the others reluctantly. She didn't know why she was doing this or why she's even here. She asked Kyouko and Eren to explain themselves but they didn't tell her anything.

The group comes to a stop and Armin tells them to wait as he runs off.

The group stands in silence, waiting for Armin to come back. Makoto continues to ponder on where they are taking her.

But before Makoto could ask anyone, Armin comes back with Annie.

Armin tells them to follow him, not allowing Makoto to ask why Annie is here with them now. As the group follow Armin, Makoto catches the scent of Scout Regiment members here and there. But why are they all scattered around in this area?

"In here," Armin says as he walks into the underground tunnel with Mikasa, Eren, and Kyouko following behind.

Makoto sighs as she shakes her head, getting in as well.

"Annie, come on." Armin calls out. Makoto turns around to see that Annie standing at the entrance of the tunnel.

Eren, Armin, and Kyouko are beckoning her to follow them in but Annie doesn't move.

Annie glances around and finally speaks up, "Where are the civilians. It's pretty empty for an afternoon isn't it?"

Now that she brings it up, there were barely any civilians around when they were heading here. Makoto looks at the group for an explanation to see Armin sweating profusely and has an expression of a person who was just caught telling a white lie.

"What the hell is going on here?" Makoto said, finally having enough of it.

Armin swallows and looks at Annie dead in the eyes, "We think you're the Female Titan. We've been suspicious ever since the ODM gear check after Sawney and Beane's deaths and Makoto's escape. I didn't want to believe it back then but now looking back at it, it's hard not to.."

Everything starts to click for Makoto and her blood boils. "Wait, you idiots brought me here for this?! Why?!" She snaps.

"Armin said you and Eren needed help escaping the capital." Annie says bluntly.

"Kyouko knew that if we mentioned your name to Annie, she would follow us." Mikasa answers, causing Makoto to glare at Kyouko.

"You used me?!" She shouts, her ears ears standing tall as she bares her canine fangs at the younger girl.

Kyouko's tail tucks between her legs and as she opens her mouth, Eren steps in front of her. "It's not her fault! We needed a way to get Annie with us! We can prove that Annie isn't the Female Titan! Her name can be cleared if she just follows us in here!" Eren says, trying to reason things out.

"Does it matter? She's not coming with us." Mikasa says as she draws out her swords. Makoto immediately gets in front of Mikasa, growling at her as her eyes flash a dangerous bright green.

"Don't even try." Makoto glowers. She watches as emotions flash in Mikasa's eyes before her expression hardens and she points her sword directly at Makoto's chest.

"Don't think I won't hurt you to protect Eren," She states.

The tension grows between the two of them until a laugh catches their attention. All their eyes draw to Annie who's laughing loudly.

"You won. Is that what you want to hear?" She says mid-laughter. This sends shivers down Kyouko and Armin's spines. "But just because you won, doesn't mean it'll end here." Annie says coldly.

Just as she was about to transform, Armin whips out a flare gun and shoots it into the air. Hidden Scouts burst out of nowhere and rush towards Annie, tackling and grabbing her limbs to prevent her from transforming.

"Annie!" Makoto shouts, going back to help her but the four quickly grab onto Makoto, holding her back. "What are you doing?! Let me go!" Makoto shouts at them, trying to pull away to get to the blonde girl.

"Makoto, stop!" Kyouko begs.

Makoto grinds her teeth, refusing to listen, "Annie, do it!"

Annie stares at Makoto for a couple of seconds before using the blade hidden in her ring to transform into the Female Titan.