History Journal 4: Childhood of Ichijo Sisters

Makoto:

Before the Fall of Maria, Makoto lived a happy life. She was very close with her parents and Kyouko, spending as much time as she could with them. Makoto used to be cheerful and upbeat, always there to lift people's spirits up. 

She would help her parents with the bakery from time to time. She learned to bake from her mom and how to cook from her dad. Her father also taught her how to make wooden figures and play guitar. Makoto and her mom would always have quality reading time, whenever Kyouko and her dad went to play catch outside. One of the things Makoto loved was whenever her mother would hum a soft tune while stroking her hair. It never failed to make Makoto relax and fall asleep. From time to time, Makoto would catch her parents staring at her with a sad look in their eyes. She never understood why, but she was too scared to ask, not wanting to upset her parents.

Kyouko and Makoto were tied to the hip as children. They spent almost every hour together. They never went anywhere without the other person. Makoto never minded Kyouko clinging onto her, she loved her sister. Whenever her sister got bullied, Makoto was always there to fight for her. One time, they visited a small pond with koi fish and Makoto had found a turtle. She took it home as a pet, naming it Koi since she found it at the koi fish pond.

Although being a hybrid was tough, Makoto had friends growing up. She mostly hung out with two people in her neighborhood. One of them happened to be Thanatos. He was one of the older kids around the block, and most of the kids were scared of him. The two became friends after Thanatos prevented several older kids from picking on Makoto, and Makoto offered him half of her pork bun as thanks. He liked the fact that Makoto looked past him being part snake, and saw him as anyone else. The other person Makoto hung out with was Theia. They happened to live next door to one another. Their room windows faced one another so they always talked to one another. They also wrote messages on pieces of paper and left them by the window for the other to read. Makoto and Theia's bond was so close that the two actually started dating. But by definition of dating, the two of them would make flower crowns for one another, hug, and hold hands.

After the fall of Wall Maria and her parents' deaths, Makoto was no longer cheerful and upbeat. She became quiet and reserved. She spent most of her time focusing on caring for Kyouko and herself. Makoto was never able to find out where Thanatos and Theia were, so she assumed that they were both dead. Everywhere she and Kyouko went, they were discriminated against by humans. Whenever they wanted to buy food, the owner would refuse to sell anything simply because of their race. They received dirty looks and hurtful comments left and right. It made Makoto realize that other hybrids had to deal with this their entire lifetime. Many of them probably face worse. She wanted to make this right, she wanted to help hybrids gain the equality they deserved. She made it her goal to join the military police to get closer to the higher-ups. However, when she realized Kyouko wanted to do the Survey Crops, she insisted her to join the military police with her. Makoto knew nothing would change her sister's mind, knowing how stubborn she was. She just had to find another way to get to the higher power while protecting her sister.

Kyouko:
Growing up, Kyouko admired Makoto and idolized her. Kyouko was always found beside Makoto or following behind her. Whenever Makoto went to hang out with her friends, Kyouko would tag along or she would stay home with her parents. Kyouko also adored her parents, and her family meant everything to her. 

The collapse of Wall Maria left Kyouko lost. She didn't know what to do with her life now that her parents were dead. It broke Kyouko even more seeing her sister change into a different person. She didn't like that Makoto became serious, she rarely saw Makoto joke around or laugh. She wanted the old Makoto to come back. However, she was grateful for everything her sister has done for her. She knew Makoto was suffering as well and did her best to not complain as much.

Unlike Makoto, Kyouko didn't grow up with a hatred for humans. She believed that people could change their views and that not every person was bad. With a dream to protect and serve, she wanted nothing more than to serve the Survey Crops. With a goal in mind, she had signed up for the Training Corps.