Chapter 27

Kyouko glances around the empty training grounds, wondering where her sister was since Makoto is never late. She looks around before heading towards Makoto's cabin and peeking through the window.

"Oh my god," She whispers as she spots Makoto asleep with three other girls cuddled up to her. Kyouko snickers under her breath and moves away from the window.

I can't wait to tease her about this tomorrow.

As Kyouko heads back to the training field, Connie approaches her with bags under his eyes asi f he hasn't slept in weeks.

"Are you okay?" Kyouko asks concerned about how tired he looks.

"I couldn't sleep last night due to the stupid thunder and Levi woke me up early to give you a message. He wants to meet with you later. It's important apparently." Connie says. 

Kyouko nods and pats his back sympathetically, "Thanks Connie. Go ahead and head back to bed before everyone else wakes up."

He gives her a thumbs up before dragging himself back to his own cabin. 

Kyouko heads to Levi's quarters and notices a woman with long, brown, messy hair that's tied up in a ponytail standing in front of Levi's door. Kyouko walks over to her and gives her a wave, "Hello. I'm here to see Levi."

The woman turns to face her and gives her a friendly smile. "You're here to see Levi too? He sent for me as well. I'm Lynne." She says and holds her hand out to shake. Kyouko smiles back and shakes her hand.

"I'm Kyouko," She responds.

A minute later, Levi opens his door to let them both in.

"So, you wanted to see us?" Kyouko says as she looks around the room, curious at all the cool nicknacks he has. 

"Yes. I need you two to lead a team on a mission to scavenge something. Hanji said that there's some research in another district that can help her with her future research." He explains as he takes a seat. 

"Cool but why do you need two leaders? The teams you usually assign have one." Kyouko asks.

His eyes are filled with conflict before he lets out a sigh and closes his eyes for a moment. "The area I need you to go to is... somewhat familiar." He says and opens his eyes once more, "Lynne is experienced with leading teams in dangerous missions, however, the reason why I need your help with this is that you're familiar with this area. It's your old home. I need you to lead the team there since you know the area."

Kyouko feels her muscle stiffen as a lump forms in her throat. The memories of her childhood floods into her head, making her blood run cold. "I-I'm sorry, sir. I don't think I can do that." Kyouko says as she looks down at her feet.

He frowns and his eyebrows knits together, "You can't or you won't?"

She flinches at his words and looks down, feeling her wolf ears lay back on her head. "Kyouko, that area is dangerous and we need your help there. Makoto is needed here. Are you going to let us all down just because you won't go out and help us? Are you willing to let your squad members die because you won't help them?" He says, his voice pushing and demanding.

Kyouko swallows down the lump in her throat and does her best not to crack under pressure under his glare. "I can't sir. I'm sorry." She says and heads for the door, quickly leaving before Levi could say anything else.

She can feel hot tears threatening to run down her cheeks as the memories of her parents rush back. Going back to that place will only reopen new scars. She roughly wipes her eyes with her sleeve and walks down the corridors. 

"Kyouko, wait!" Lynne's voice calls out, catching Kyouko's attention, making her turn around to see her running over to her. "Hey, what's wrong?" She asks, her voice soft and gentle as she speaks to the younger girl.

"I can't go back there, Lynne. That place is where I was raised and where I watched my parents die. It's too painful." Kyouko whispers, letting her voice crack. Lynne wraps her arms around her reassuringly, making Kyouko relax against her and calm down.

"I know it's going to hurt but this is for the better. You can help us. We need you with us. I need you with me." Lynne says as she pulls away to look at her. "You'll have me and your team by your side. You don't have to go through it alone." She says smiling. 

A smile crept onto Kyouko's face and and sighs in defeat. "Okay fine. I guess I'll try to help." Kyouko says, making Lynne smile brighter.

Lynne wraps her arm around her shoulders, smiling down at the other girl. "Come on, let's tell Levi you changed your mind." She says and leads Kyouko back to his quarters.