Chapter 6

"Um excuse me?" A soft feminine voice speaks up next to Makoto, making her look down and see a girl with amber eyes and light ginger hair. "Are you Makoto? I'm Petra." She asks slightly nervous. 

Makoto nods and asks, "I'm guessing I'm gonna have to help you as my punishment?" 

She nods, "You have to help me with the horses at the stables." 

She leads Makoto to the horse stables and begins to explain to her what to do. They both start off by cleaning the stables together so it won't be too much work for one person. After that, Petra would feed the horses while Makoto brushes them. 

"Makoto, can you put the hay over there?" She asks and point to a corner. Makoto nods and goes to the stack of hay, picking up three stacks of hay and places them on her shoulder. Petra glances at her then rushes over panicking, "You shouldn't carry that much! You'll hurt yourself!"

"Calm down, I'm fine." Makoto says and places the hay in the corner. Makoto could see Petra's face full of concern. "Really, Petra. I'm fine." She reassures the shorter girl and carries the rest of the stacks to the corner before brushing the horses again.

"Thanks for helping me," Petra smiles.

"Compared to Hanji's work, at least I get to be outside and stretch my limbs out." Makoto sighs and stretches a little, making Petra giggle slightly and nod.

"Who else do I have to help?" Makoto says.

"One more. The last one is Nanaba." Petra informs her. Just as Makoto was about to ask another question, a short woman with glasses with platinum blonde hair comes up to them with a stern look.

"Where's Hanji?" She asks coldly. Petra gulps nervously and shifts behind Makoto. "I-I'm not sure Rico. I haven't seen her today." Petra says. "Well, you must have at least some idea of where she is?" She growls. Petra shakes her head causing Rico to grow even more frustrated. "Why do I even bother. It's not like someone like you would know." She scoffs.

Petra looks down at her feet ashamed and Makoto places her hand on Petra's shoulder. 

"Hey, leave her alone." Makoto speaks up.

"Excuse me?" Rico says, surprised and irritated that Makoto spoke up.

"Makoto, don't do this. You'll get in more trouble." Petra says, urging her to step down.

"Look, Petra doesn't know where Hanji is. What do you expect her to do? Have some kind of tracker on Hanji?" Makoto continues, "You may be some skilled soldier but no one should have that much of a shitty attitude. So you either apologise to Petra and play nicely or I'll throw your tiny body into the river." 

Before Rico can talk back, another voice calls out to them, "Hey, Petra. Where's the training crop kid?" A woman with short blonde hair and blue eyes walks over and looks at Petra, Makoto, and Rico. "Did something happen?" She asks. 

"No, anyways what do you need me to do?" Makoto asks, removing her hand off of Petra's shoulder.

"I have to do patrol and I'm taking you with me. You seem to have better hearing than normal people." She says and points to her wolf ears. 

"I guess you can say that," I says shrugging. She nods and leads the way to the area where we're supposed to patrol. 

Once they reach the patrolling area, she hands Makoto a pair of binoculars, "You'll need this for keeping an eye out for any titans that are getting too close to the walls." She raises an eyebrow and looks at the binoculars then back at Nanaba. 

"Are these necessary? Can't you just listen to their footsteps as they approach or something?" Makoto asks. 

"Not all of us have hearing like you. Besides, we have Mike over here to sniff them out," She says and points to a man who was sniffing the air like crazy.

"Okay then..." Makoto says, slowly turn away from Mike. 

He's freaking me out with all his sniffing.

As she scans the hills and trees for any sign of titans, Makoto sits down with her elbow prop on her knee and her chin resting on the palm of her hand. "This is boring. There are no titans near anyways. If there was, I would hear them." Makoto complains, her wolf ears twitching.

"It's better to be safe than sorry," she says. 

Makoto groans and looks around for anything she can do. 

I swear I'm gonna die from boredom.'

Just then, Nanaba sits down beside her, the binoculars now tucked away. "So you got bored too?" Makoto asks.

She simply shrugs, "If you say there are no titans near, then there's none." 

Makoto looks at Nanaba a bit surprised and asks, "Wait, hold on. Are you actually listening to me? And trusting me. You know I could be lying and all of a sudden a titan can come up and eat one of your friends." 

"True but I don't see a reason why not to trust you," She says, running her fingers through her short blonde hair.

Makoto remains quiet and watches the calm wind gently blow on the leaves on the trees and the tall grass. 

"You had a rough childhood. Didn't you?" Nanaba says, causing Makoto to turn her head and glare at her. "I can tell by the way you reacted when I trusted you. You seemed shocked. Not only that, I've seen you around before. You glare at the other cadets with hatred." Nanaba says, not taking her eyes off the the rustling leaves.

"You don't know shit lady," Makoto snarls, "You probably had an easy childhood." 

She shakes her head and looks at Makoto with her blue eyes filled with fear and sorrow. "Just because I don't know your past, doesn't mean you know mine. Not every one of us grew up happily." She says before breaking eye contact with Makoto.

Nanaba's hands are clutched in fists, her knuckles turning white. Makoto frowns slightly and placed her hand on top of her knuckles, making her fists slowly relax.

"Sorry... for assuming your past. I shouldn't have don't that." Makoto says quietly. Nanaba shifts closer to me and carefully lean her body against Makoto's. Her wolf ears perk up as she glances over at her. Her head was resting on Makoto's shoulder as the rest of her body was leaning against her for support. 

"I'm sorry as well. I shouldn't have brought up your past." 

Makoto has never apologised to anyone beside her sister before, especially not to a human. In her head, she's telling herself that she should feel disgusted that Nanaba was leaning against her but no part of her made an effort to push her off.

"Hey. Your patrolling time is over. You can head back to the cafeteria to find the others and eat your breakfast. I'll tell Keith that you finished your punishment and you're off the hook." Nanaba says. Makoto expects her to pull away or get up but she stays leaning against her.

"I rather not. I'm not hungry. I rather stay here, for now, it's peaceful up here." Makoto says. She doesn't look at the blonde but she could tell Nanaba was smiling at her.

She stays with Nanaba for the rest of the morning, leaning against one another and enjoying the scenery and the sounds of the leaves rustling.