snap out of it

2013

my husband came home, he was talking angry on the phone. not the first time..
me and him had a nice relationship but he could be a little intense from time to time. did i regret marrying him? yes.. absolutely.
do i love him? i have no idea.. i've only really known that for sure with one person.
but i hadn't seen him in years.
he's always in the back of my mind.. that little hopeless romantic.
i'd hear them on the radio sometimes, and sometimes ( very rarely) i'd know the song was about me and him. the situation was clearly described.. or it was just obvious.

me and my husband got married a year ago, after dating for 2 years. it was fast but i just said yes, i dont know why.
he was the opposite of the guy in my mind. he was agressive, unkind. it seemed like he didnt give a shit about me.
but when we fought he would always try to manipulate me with his "i love you"'s
i didnt believe them anymore, he was cheating on me and i knew it. but i just couldnt bring myself to throw those damned divorce papers in front of his nose.

so thats exactly what i did today, i got everything handled in a short time.
i walked over to his office and put the papers in front of him.
he read them and looked up to me "what? you wanna divorce?"
he was an american, he basically forced me into moving with him to new york. i missed sheffield.
i nodded, "i do.. jake we both know i cant do this.."
i could see he was getting a little frustrated.
"yes you can.. dorothy i dont know who talked you into this but-" i cut him off, i was sick of this.
"i know you cheated on me with your coworker" i said looking him deeply in his eyes.
i turned around and walked out.

about a year later we were officially divorced. finally i could breathe and do my own thing.
i moved to london to a very small apartment, highest floor.  a new album had just come out... from the band i was once so close with.
i decided to give it a listen, i knew the tracks were mostly about alex's summer flings or fucked relationships.
untill a certain song started playing.. it was called 'snap out of it'
i listened to the lyrics.. and thought of my situation.. it added up.
it couldnt be that he was still thinking of me.. right?

i grabbed my phone and looked up his contact.. i sent him a text "snap out of it hm?"
hoping that my thoughts were right, he responded quickly  "how did you know?"
"a little bit of observation.."
he took a while to respond now "well.. did you snap out of it?"
i smiled at my phone "i did, freshly divorced actually... moved back to the uk too"
"really? where?"

me and him used to talk about moving to london together and get a cat and a ton of little plants, didnt matter how big or small the house or apartment was.

"london" i answered.

"no way...we should totally catch up, with the guys"

i smiled at my phone again "of course, i missed you guys"

"i missed you too" he replied, a second message came through right after. "i meant we miss you too"
i chuckled.

about a week later we decided to meet up in their studio, i knocked on the door.
alex opened the door and smiled "its good to see you"
he had changed so much... the hair, his voice, his posture even.
i gave him a tight hug "i missed you guys so much"
when we let go of eachother i went over to jamie, me and jamie were never that close but i mised him too, i gave him a hug aswell.

then i went over to matt, he was my best friend. well untill i got with jake, jake was possesive and jealous. he didnt want me being friends with guys.
i gave him a tight hug and i could feel the tears in my eyes. i looked at him "im so sorry, matt"
he smiled slightly "its not your fault..." he said

then i took a deep breath and got to nick.. this was hard, i looked at him. he got so handsome over the years, not that he wasnt before. the baby face was gone and he looked more like a man then the boy i fell in love with.
i just hugged him and he hugged me back tightly.

after that i sat down and chuckled "you guys all changed so much.. in a good way though"

they smiled and matt replied "so did you"

we started talking about their new album and how popular it was getting, they all seemed so proud of it, they should be proud of it.  although they had better albums in my opinion it was more modern and mainstream feeling, but in a good way.
nick was usually a bit held back but i noticed he had come out of his shell and was talking along and making jokes.

then the topic of jake came along, i told them about our relationship. about how it was slighty abusive, maniplulative and just toxic in general.  how i couldnt bring myself to leave.
but i did want to.

it sounded like it just clicked for them, i had a feeling they thought i was just some bitch who left her friends for a guy.

we talked about our friendship through the years and our hometown. about early tours and wasted lovers.

me and nick spoke alone at the end of the night, about the song and our feelings. we decided to just be friends for now and grab a coffee every now and then.
i kissed his cheek and i went home again.