sixteen

The rising sun flooded into the foggy bus windows. The beams illuminated your small frame that was dressed in all black.

Your eyelids fluttered open and you immediately squinted from the intense brightness. You yawned and sat forwards, gazing out of the dirty window as the city buildings passed by ever so simply.

A wash of pure blissful relief had washed over you. You were safe now, hours away from Revy. The plan from here was to trek up to your Auntie's and explain the situation that you had gotten yourself into. She lived alone with no children and no significant other, so you would take that to your advantage.

You cleared your throat and stood, holding onto the yellow bar above you. "Can you stop here, please?" You croaked out after not speaking for a while.

The humble bus driver had pulled over to the next bus stop and opened the mechanical doors for you.

"Thank you for the ride."

He smiled and nodded. "It's no problem. You've been a joy the entire ride, miss."

You couldn't help but smile widely at his kind comment.

You waved him off and he drove off down the street.

So, there you stood confused as all hell. You gazed around the quiet scenery and let out an exhale slowly. Occasional cars passed every now and then, people going about their day and boarding buses to head on over to their work.

You were gifted flashbacks from getting up early in the morning, showering, making yourself some breakfast and heading off to work shortly after your routine.

You had felt sad, knowing you couldn't return to that lifestyle no more. People knew that you were missing, so cutting your hair and keeping your hood up wasn't only to just hide from Revy.

You stepped forward into the bus stop and scanned the map that advertised the whole of the area. To your luck, you remembered which street your Auntie owned a house on. You memorized turns and street names and wasted no time setting off in the correct direction.

You took your shaky legs and cautiously trudged down the slightly empty streets. A part of you wad terrified of bumping into Revy somehow. The woman was made of magic at this point and she was bound to scope you out.

The paranoia continued to creep up your back and send occasional shudders down your spine.

In your head, you were brainstorming a plan B in case your Auntie turned you down or if she wasn't living there anymore. Plan B was to waste no time in bus hopping around and traversing deeper into the state, finding work and hopefully getting the hell out of the country.

Your heart ached, however, you loved Revy very much but getting caught in the crossfire of her dangerous lifestyle could end up getting you killed. As far as you were concerned, you wanted to live much longer than this path had intended.

Thoughts of bumping into Benny or even Dutch clouded your mind with an overwhelming feeling of unstoppable fear. You were sure that they'd inform Revy of your whereabouts straight away, or even capture you themselves.. that is if Revy had already told them about the dire situation.

Your messy thoughts began to distract you, so you shook your head and lowered it slightly. Being caught now would be a terrible scenario. Being brought into police custody for questioning and for their useless reassurance of you being 'safe' would throw you off board.

You just know for a fact that Two Hands would waste no time coming for your rescue at the dainty police station.

You were afraid, indeed, and the painted scenarios in your head only fuelled the brewing fire of ongoing anxiety.

A few hours passed of hopeful trudging up steep streets and desolate back alleys. You noticed the areas began to spring with life after it being 8AM finally. You felt a little more at ease, seeing that you were surrounded by more groups of bystanders.

You huffed in frustration. "Why didn't I just take another damn bus?"

To be fair, you didn't want to risk it. For some reason, you felt as if you were at a bigger risk of seeing Revy and that thought didn't make sense to you.

You sighed and walked on to find yourself slightly limping up your Auntie's street. Dread began to wash over you along with tiny twinges of hope.

You stopped at the gate and huffed, pushing it open as a loud squeak occurred. You trudged up the neat garden path and wasted no time knocking your fists onto the large door ahead.

You inhaled deep breaths and composed yourself, patiently waiting for the door to open.

Through the foggy glass there was slow movement. A key was twisted into the lock and the metal handle twisted as the white door opened.

Standing before you, gladly, was your tall Auntie. A forty yeah old Irish woman with very short red hair and rather sharp features. She wore her usual work clothes which consisted of a black tie, white shirt and black work pants. It seemed she hadn't changed, let alone aged a day.

"Y/n? Good grief, you're all over the news. Oh.. and your hair? You look so tired."

A feeling of guilt whirred in the pit of your stomach, you had felt like you neglected your family for the last few years of your life. You sighed and closed your eyes in exhaustion.

"Can I please come in? I have a lot of explaining to do and you're right, I'm insanely fucking tired."

She fiddled with her open collar and sighed in defeat. "I expect the full story. In utmost detail, Y/n."

You nodded and stared up at your Aunt. "It's been awhile, Aunt Moira."

A faint smile began forming onto Moira's face and she stepped to one side, allowing you entry. "It sure has."

With that, you wasted no time shuffling into the neat house that belonged to your Irish Auntie.

You felt a sense of security here. Finally, you could feel safe.