twenty-four

Your eyes fluttered open slowly. The pain in your forehead kicked in and dehydration made your throat pulsate. Your leg however, hurt way more than your throat or head combined.

The bullet had been removed and the gaping wound had been sewn shut with a bandage wrapping around your thigh.

You were still in your dress, but the bottom had been ripped up seemingly. You sighed in pain and slowly sat up, leaning against the cold wall behind you.

You looked around with half lidded eyes. You recognised this place.. it was extremely familiar. It took just a moment. You were back in the tiny storage room of that boat, where you first met Revy and the crew. Only this time a sleeping bag and a pillow had been slipped beneath you. You figured this was Dutch's handiwork; and you were somewhat grateful.

Slowly, you took your time and lifted yourself off of the sleeping back and onto your wobbly feet. Dutch hadn't removed your plain white heels, so you hobbled along to the door and pulled it open with all of your effort.

You looked around to find Dutch standing outside, smoking a cigarette with his back to you. You picked up the stray fabrics on the bottom of your dress and stepped outside.

"Dutch.." You almost stumbled but quickly regained your balance. A small curse escaped your lips with the gunshot wound in your thigh.

He turned to face you, picking the cigarette from his lips and flicking it into the stray ocean all around you both.

"Good to see you up and about, Y/n."

You nodded slowly, taking your veil out of your hair and letting the wind carry it out into the ocean somewhere.

"Have you got any spare clothes?" You asked with a soft sigh.

The taller man shook his head and you exclaimed another sigh.

You continued to look around the area, a slight frown creasing your forehead.

"Where's Revy?" You asked, turning back to him with curious, and slightly afraid, eyes.

Dutch rolled his shoulders back and faced you fully. He towered over you and sighed deeply.
"Look Y/n.. you're a missing person right now. What happened back there wasn't supposed to happen. Detectives are hot on your tail."

You looked down in thought, the frown on your face deepening.
"You.. didn't answer my question."

Dutch adjusted his sunglasses.
"She's safe. She's wondering where you are, too."

He lowered his head slightly in thought.
"I'm sorry Y/n, I can't take you to her."

You scoffed and stepped back, wincing from the pain but still holding your stance.
"What? Why not? We got married today! She's my wife now.. I just-... what're you saying, Dutch?"

You swallowed thickly, feeling the tears pricking at the corners of your eyes.

Dutch folded his arms.
"You're a liability. I won't be a part of the reason why an innocent girl dies."

You were so confused and angry. Why was this happening now?

"But.. you've already killed innocent people, Dutch."

He reached behind his back, pulling out a silver pistol and cocking back the barrel and aiming it towards you.

"Dutch please no.. don't do this.. please." You begged, holding up your hands and stepping back further to the edge of the boat.

"I'll give Revy your regards, tell her that you ran off again."

The tears began streaming down your face now and you couldn't stop them.

"Please Dutch!"

He squeezed the trigger, the bullet fired into the depths of your chest. You fell back into the ocean water behind you and your blood was already infecting the water around you.

You gasped and opened your eyes, staring up at the bright ceiling.

You winced at the sudden pain in your thigh. It was all still real.. but you hadn't been shot in the chest by Dutch.

You whimpered softly and looked down. You were dressed in a gown, laying in a clean hospital bed in your own room. You lifted up the covers to see your leg had been very neatly patched up.. more neat than in your dream.

You remembered now. The last thing you saw was Revy fighting off the police and Dutch carrying you away on his shoulder. You immediately figured that he brought you here; there was no sign of him though.

Slowly sitting up, the door to your single room opened and you whisked your head towards it to see who walked in.

A man you didn't recognise. His skin colour the shade of mocha, a buzz cut and many age lines upon his face. You figured he was around fifty years old. He was quite tall, too, dressed in a suit and tie with a black coat on.

"You're awake." He spoke firmly, pulling up a chair next to your bed.

"Detective Gabriel Reyes. You're Y/n L/n, correct?"

You nodded slowly, studying every feature on his face now that he was closer and soon maintaining eye contact with him.

"You went missing a few months ago after a your workplace was blown up, yes? Now you show up on the doorstep of this hospital. What happened, Y/n?"

He tilted his head at you, waiting for you to begin speaking.

You shook your head with closed eyes.
"No.. I don't remember coming here."

Reyes raised an eyebrow.

"Doctors found you laying unconscious outside the main entrance.. blood leaking from a gunshot wound in your thigh. You were also in a wedding dress."

You swallowed nervously, pulling the covers up to your waist.

"Want to tell me where you've been? In cases like these.. we never expect the victim to be found alive. You lost a lot of blood."

The Detective took note of your silence and leaned in a little more.

"When you're better, we'll take you down to the station for more questioning. I understand your head isn't in a good spot right now. You rest up and I'll be back in a few days time; the nurses will let you know."

He rose from the chair and pushed it back into place, exiting the room.

You slowly lowered your head further just moments after he left. You cried. You sobbed quietly and closed your eyes tightly, hiccuping and letting the tears tumble down onto the blanket.

You wished that Revy would come for your rescue.