Chapter six: Changing

Rachel clasped a collar around the dog-- Copper's-- neck. She felt guilty about leaving Riku behind, but remembered that he'd chosen to live there. And he has no idea that I exist. She fed Copper, and tried to distract herself.  

Ryan tried to comfort his sister, by teaching her how to train their new dog.

Riku dragged himself out of bed, after Maleficent had told him to go to another world and find one of the princesses. He still hadn't recovered, but they had a deal. After stalking in the shadows, watching a heated battle with Sora and Jafar, he crept up behind Jasmine and grabbed her.

She fought back, flailing more than anticipated, not to mention he was still exhausted-- so dragging her through a dark corridor was even more draining, and when he let go once they stepped through to the castle, his knees collapsed and he was practically gasping.

Jasmine was taken away, and Maleficent approached. "Come."

"Huh...?" Riku slowly stood up, and she lead him towards a small round table, where they could see Sora forcing Jafar into a lamp.

"That smarmy vizier could've had 'em-- if someone had stuck around to give him a hand." said Hades. 

"Hey, I did my part." He retorted. "I brought the princess didn't I?"

"Jafar was beyond help, consumed by his own hatred." Maleficent said to them. "One should beware of letting it burn too fiercely."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, lighten up. I'm as cool as they come, okay? By the way, kid, have we got something special for you."

"Huh?"

"We had a deal, yes? You help us, and we grant you your wish..." 

Another image appeared just above the table. A girl with red hair, one he knew very well.

"Kairi!"  

"Go to her. Your vessel is waiting."

"Just remember," someone else said. "This is no pleasure cruise. It won't be a pleasant voyage."

"...Why are you doing all this for me? What's the catch?"

"Catch? What's the catch?" Maleficent echoed. She stepped towards him, slowly stroking his cheek-- something that bothered him very much for some reason.

"Silly boy. You're like a son to me. I only want you to be happy."

Riku swatted her hand away, muttering. "I seriously doubt that."

"Believe what you wish. But lest we forget, I kept my end of the bargain."  

Ryan took Rachel to another world the next day, and they ended up inside what looked like a pirate ship.

"Get behind me," Ryan warned quietly, "we're not alone."

She did as told.

"What? So Wendy's not one of the chosen ones?" 

"There are seven, supposedly, and Maleficent says she's not one of them." 

Riku...

"Is that him?" Ryan whispered.

"...Yes. I want to help him." Rachel replied.

"You can't. It's not safe."

"But I-"

"No!" He snapped.

"Who's there!?" Riku whirled, summoning Soul Eater as the two of them stepped into view. One of them was a he didn't recognize, and the other... 

"Who are you?" He asked her. She winced, though he wasn't sure why.

"I'm... I'm no one."

Then a trap door opened up under Rachel and Ryan, and they fell.

"Hey, what are you-- ugh, whatever. Hoist anchor as soon as possible. Leave all the deadweight behind, including them and Wendy."

"After all the trouble of capturing her? And why those seven? What is Maleficent planning, anyway?" Hook complained.

"Who knows? As long as it means getting Kairi's heart back, I couldn't care less."

"You're wasting your time! The Heartless have devoured that girl's heart. I'll stake me other hand it's lost forever."

"I will find it, no matter what."

"So it's true... he really forgot all about me." A tear rolled down Rachel's cheek, and Ryan thumbed it away.

"I have to help."

"Rachel, you can't."

"Why? Why can't you just trust me to handle things?"

"Because if something happens to you, I'll have nothing!" he blurted, "...I can't lose you, too. I'm sorry." Ryan sighed.

He unlocked the cell, and they made it to the upper deck. Rachel watched as her brother switched into his armor, and followed him as he got onto his glider.

They overheard voices, and he stopped.

"Quite a codfish, that Riku-- running off with that girl without even saying goodbye."

"Run off where? Tell me, where did he go?" Demanded a familiar boy in red. Sora.

"To the ruins of Hollow Bastion, where Maleficent resides."

"Her again." muttered Rachel.

"We should go check it out." Said the young man to his sister, "sounds like trouble."

"You're letting me come?"

"As long as you stay close."

So off they went.