Chapter seven: A True Hero

~Aqua's POV~ 

We entered a Coliseum, and immediately, the Unversed appeared. But someone jumped in to protect us. It was a strange sort of half goat, half man. "Stand back, sweetcheeks! I'll take care of this." It took one step forward, and he fled. "Herc, they're all yours!" A rather scrawny young man ran up next to me, and we took out the Unversed. 

"Oy! Those wackos almost made Gyros outta me!" The creature walked up to us again. "Well, maybe if you weren't trying to show off..." "Who asked you, kid? You'll understand more when you're older." "And stronger... Strong enough to be a hero." "You think being strong is the same as being a hero?" "Sure-- mostly. Look how strong Terra and Ryan are, and they're champions!" "Terra?" "Ryan?" "So sugarcakes... You got any plans for later? You know, I've trained a few heroes in my time. Maybe I could recite ya a little epic poetry." 

"Do you really know Terra and Ryan?"

"Of course, I do. They're the local heroes everybody's going gaga for-- Oh now I get it you're one of their fans. Well, how about you, kid?" "Ryan's my brother." "Everywhere I go, it's Terra-this Terra-that... More like Terra-bull." 

"Oh no, you see, I just want to track him down." "Yeah, tell me about it, sister. You and the rest of Greece! Kid shows up outta nowhere, goes and wins the first Games he ever enters, dazzling the whole town, and then the nudnik up and vanishes!"

"Everybody says Terra's the real thing, a true hero. I can't wait til I'm that tough." The creature scoffed. "Right. He's so tough he turned the last shlemiel who faced him into a raving yahoo." "Come on, Phil, be nice." "So you're telling me he isn't here." "Whoa, not so fast. He may not be here right now, but ya never know. He could always decide he's gonna show up for the Games." "Yeah... To defend his title."

"And if you enter, there's always a chance you might run into one of 'em. I got an idea. I'll sign you up myself. And if you need a trainer, I'd be more than happy to put you through the ropes." "But Phil... I had to practically beg you to agree to train me." "Shh! Pipe down, kid! You and she ain't got the same attributes, if you know what I mean." 

I felt a tug on my skirt. "Aqua, can we enter the Games? Pleaaaase?" "You know, you're right." I turned back. "Please sign me up for the Games. My name is Aqua. Nice to meet you." "Likewise. Now let's start with a few basics--" "Thanks, I won't need a trainer." "Bah! Women-- never change! So I suppose you still want me to go and get you signed up. Meet me in the vestibule when you're ready."

~Rachel's POV~

Aqua entered the Games, suggesting that I just watch. She said she wanted me out of harm's way. I listened, watching as she fought the Unversed with ease. 

And then the semi-finals came.

She faced an armored man, and took a step back. "Terra?" "...Don't know why you're looking for him. He's a jerk."

That voice...!

"What did Terra ever do to you?" "He promised to help me find someone... Then, I say one thing, and he decides that Xehanort's the only one he can still count on. So... now I'm on my own." "Terra would never do that." "Aqua, wait--" They battled, and I desperately tried to get them to stop. 

There's was only one way to get through to them. 

I jumped into the arena, just as he charged at Aqua. "Rachel, get back!"