Chapter five: Friends

~Aqua's POV~

I flew through the Lanes Between, Rachel clinging to the side of my Keyblade Glider. A figure hovered in the distance. "Terra. Where's he going?" 

"Rachel. Rachel! Where are you? Excuse me." A duck turned to face me. It was strange. He walked with a cane, and wore a top hat. "I'm terribly sorry to bother you, sir." "Ach, what a well-mannered lass ye are. I'd be pleased as punch to help ye, if I can." "I'm looking for a boy who's not from around here. Have you seen him?"

"Hmm, I think I know just who you're talking about. He scampered off toward yon castle in a right hurry." "Thank you so much." He walked off. "Terra... I hope you're still there." Upon exploring the town, there was the startled scream of a young girl. "Rachel!? No..."

This girl had short red hair, and was being chased by the Unversed. "No! Run!" She rushed up next to me, laying a hand on my Keyblade. 

I can feel the light...

"There's no way I can fight like this!" There were far too many Unversed for me to handle alone. 

Had I not been separated from Rachel...

They jumped at us, and someone blocked it.

A mouse.

"Hurry!" He said. "Ya gotta get that girl to someplace that's safe." "Who are you? Why do you have a Keyblade?" "I'll tell ya later. Right now, we gotta stop these things!" I scooped her up with one arm, and ran off, setting her down and returning. "Everything alright?" My new companion asked. I nodded, and we defeated the creatures. The girl returned after they were gone. "Thank you. My name is Aqua. I train under Master Eraqus." "And I'm Mickey. I used to be Yen Sid's apprentice. I came back to him for some more training."

"I sense light within this girl. You think that's why they attacked her?" "Yep, I think ya might be absolutely right. If ya ask me, she must be somebody pretty extraordinary." "Yes. I'm quite certain she's someone we're supposed to protect." "Let's join forces!" His pocket began glowing. "Oh, no! Not now! I'll be okay!" Mickey's voice faded out as he disappeared into the sky, not before saying. "See ya real soon!" 

We watched for a minute, then the little girl spoke up. "Here!" "Are these for me?" She nodded. "I picked you some flowers. Thank you for saving me." "Oh, they're lovely. You're so sweet." "My name's Kairi. Nice to meet you!" "Nice to meet you too. I'm Aqua. Kairi, about that light--"

"Kairi!" Someone called. "Oh! Grandma!" "Wait, Kairi, just a minute..." A soft glow emitted from her necklace, as I placed two fingers on it. "I just cast a magic spell on you. One day when you're in trouble, the light within you will lead you to the light of another. Someone to keep you safe. Speaking of... Have you seen another girl? About a year older than you?" She pointed. "I think I saw somebody heading that way." "Thank you." She rushed to her grandmother. "There you are. It's time to go." "Kay. Oh. Bye!" They turned and started walking away. "Hey, Grandma?" "Hm? What is it?" "Could you tell me that story?" "Again, dear?" "Please?" "Very well then.

"Long ago, people lived in peace, bathed in the warmth of light. Everyone loved the light. Then people began to fight over it. They wanted to keep it for themselves. And darkness was born in their hearts.

The darkness spread, swallowing the light and may people's hearts. It covered everything, and the world disappeared. 

But small fragments of light survived, in the hearts of children. With these fragments of light, children rebuilt the lost world.