Epilogue

Two years later...

Rachel walked downstairs the day before her seventeenth birthday.

"Hey, how would you feel about... starting over?" Ryan asked.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm... talking about moving."

Rachel blinked. She hadn't expected that, and pondered the question for a bit.

This was her childhood home. While she didn't want to leave it behind... 

"I want you to make friends. We could sell the house and furniture, and use the money to replace it all. But I understand if you don't want to." 

Everything had to change eventually, she realized. 

"...Okay. We can move if you want. I'll grab some boxes and go to my room."

"Besides, we can't exactly bring suitcases onto a glider."

The most Rachel kept was the photo album Ryan had gifted her, and a stuffed animal-- a bunny named Mr. Floof, which she'd had since the age of three.

Ryan sifted through the boxes in the attic. There wasn't much, other than some of Rachel's old toys, but--

"What's this?" he asked no one in particular. It was a baby's mobile. And not just anyone's, either.

"Little king..." he read the small message written on one of the pieces hanging from it.

It belonged to him.

A tear found it's way down his cheek. He didn't bother wiping it away as he took off a small part of the mobile and shoved it into his pocket. 

Several weeks later, the house and all their things had been sold. After saying goodbye to her hometown, Rachel put Copper in the pet basket Ryan had installed into the glider, and got into the other seat he'd put in.

She clung to her photo album and stuffed animal. Her brother got inside, and they flew off into the lanes between.

"So, where to?" Ryan asked.

Rachel pointed to what looked like an island, "How 'bout we look there?" she suggested.

He landed, and they looked in the neighborhood, and found a house that someone was attempting to sell. 

"You'd be neighbors with a quiet family. Two adults and the nicest boy." said the woman, eyeing Rachel upon mentioning the boy. 

I wonder what he's like...

He talked with her some more, and they ended up buying the house.

Rachel started decorating her room, after they bought furniture. It took a few weeks to get everything they needed, but she occupied herself with finding a place to train; the Keyblade still hadn't come to her.

There was a knock at her bedroom door.

"Come in, she said quietly, after another unsuccessful day.

Ryan walked in, carrying a plate. He put it on the bedside table.

"The neighbors brought cake." He said. After talking for a bit, he left the room.

~the next day~

She stepped outside and meandered off the front porch, not thinking much about where she was going, just watching as the sun peeked out over the horizon.

Rachel climbed up a tree to get a better view, not realizing it was in front of her neighbor's house until she heard a door slowly open.

A silver-haired boy stepped outside, flopping onto the front porch with a heavy sigh.

He looked to be about her age, and she couldn't help thinking the single spike of hair that stuck out of the top his head... was kind of cute.

Maybe I should talk to him.

So she did.

"Hey, stranger." 

the (actual) end