Chapter fourteen: Wandering In The Dark

~Rachel's POV~

I sat curled up on the couch, back at home. We'd been waiting for what felt like forever for our parents to come back, and I was also worried about Aqua. Ryan was pacing, which made it even worse. He only did it when he was really nervous about something.

"Where are they..." He murmured, glancing out the window. He turned to me. "You should get some sleep. It's passed midnight." 

I glanced at the clock.

12:34 

"No! She promised--" "I know. I'll wake you if she comes, or when Mom and Dad get home."

I tried to ignore the "if" when he'd mentioned Aqua.

"...Promise?"

"Of course." He kissed the top of my head. "Trust me." I went to bed, but couldn't sleep, no matter how hard I tried. Soon, the sun was coming up. I trudged downstairs. "Are they back yet?" Ryan sighed. He looked as exhausted as I had felt. "Were you up all night?" He asked. "Yeah..."

"Me, too."

A long minute passed in silence, then my eyes filled with tears, and I ran and hugged my brother. "I don't understand... What happened? Where could they be? Aqua... She... she promised we would see each other again."

"Maybe she just hasn't found Terra. We should go looking."

"Yeah."

The night before...

~Aqua's POV~

I headed to Radiant Garden, to find Terra. I had just transformed the Land Of Departure to keep it safe, with Ven inside. He was asleep after losing his heart. 

But anyway, back to the story. 

There he stood, staring up at nothing. His eyes were yellow, and his hair was white. "Terra?" Slowly, he reached out, grabbing me by the throat and lifting me off the ground. 

"Who... am I?"

"Such a terrible... darkness... Fight it. Terra, please!"

"Terra... you say?"

I gasped, and fell to the ground as Terra let go, burying his face in his hands. Then he lowered them. "Terra's heart has been extinguished-- smothered by the darkness within him!"

I leapt back, summoning my Keyblade. 

"My name is Master Aqua. Now return my friend's heart or pay the price!"

We battled, and he jumped back, emitting a yellow glow. "Stop... fighting back!"

"Terra, I know you're in there!"

With some difficulty, Terra lifted his Keyblade.

"This'll teach you. Get out of my heart!" He drove it into his chest. "Terra!"

Not hesitating for a second, I dove as he fell into a pool of darkness.

~Third person POV~

"The darkness can't have you!" Aqua said. She grabbed Terra's hand, and pulled him onto the Glider. They were in a dark abyss. "I have to do something, or we'll both be lost." She slipped out of her armor, which was holding him. "I'm with you." Aqua said, placing her Keyblade in Terra's hand. "Go!" He was sent back into the realm of light, and the woman slowly fell farther down. 

"Ven, I'm sorry... I might not make it back as soon as I thought. But I promise I'll be there, one day, to wake you up."

Janette wandered through the darkness, until she found her husband. "There you are." She said, kneeling. "You okay?"

"I've been better..." He muttered. She helped him sit up. "What is this place, anyway?" She asked.

"The realm of darkness. I just hope those three are safe." 

Ryan... Janette thought. Take care of her. I don't know when we'll be able to get out of here. I'm counting on you, kiddo.

 She helped him walk as they explored, until monsters appeared. Gently, she set him back down and summoned her Keyblade, and defeated them. 

They rested for a while, as his injuries healed. Damon stared up at the starless sky. 

They had to get back up to the realm of light. Their children could have been in danger. 

"We should try to find a way out." He suggested.

"Right. But... are you really up for it?" "Yeah." He stood up. "I'm fine." 

So they began the search.

~Aqua's POV~

"Seems like I've been walking for ages. How long have I been down here?" I wondered aloud. A monster rose up from the shadows, and the Master's Keyblade appeared in my hand. Three more of the creatures appeared, surrounding me, and my grip loosened. 

"Maybe... I should fade into the darkness here." 

Then two Keyblades flew down and defeated them. The two I recognized as the ones belonging to Terra and Ven.

Suddenly, my lips twitched upward. "I guess it's been so long, I almost forgot how to smile." 

I stood there for a minute, thinking of the friends I'd made.

"Rachel... I know I promised we would meet again once I found Terra. And we will. There's always a way."

Now...

~Rachel's POV~

We went to Radiant Garden, but couldn't find Aqua, or our parents. Instead, there was someone lying collapsed in the square. Someone walked up, kneeling. "Young man, what ails you? Can you speak? Tell me your name." 

Ryan's eyes widened. "That's--"

"Xeha... nort." "Xehanort?" His eyes closed, and he went limp. "Quickly get him to the castle!" My brother was watching this, but something else had caught my attention. 

The armor and Keyblade lying on the ground.

"Dilan, get those for me." Another man ordered. He took them, and I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"We should head back. I don't know what happened to them, but..."

I reluctantly agreed, turning to look one more time before going home.