Chapter four: Light And Dark

~Aqua's POV~

"So Rachel... Is there... some reason you decided to come along?" "I wanna find Ryan." "This is about your brother? Well... looks like our goals are somewhat the same." "Whoa..." She stared up at the ominous castle, and something whizzed by. "What's that?" I wondered. "I think we had better go take a look inside." We pushed forward, and then I heard a voice. "There's no way Terra would hurt somebody like that!" "You don't believe me? That's unfortunate, for he agreed so easily." "He did?" "Ven, don't be fooled!" He seemed to be talking to a witch. "Aqua! And-- who's that?" "This is Rachel. I'm helping her find her brother. Anyway... Terra would never do that. You know that as well as I do." "Yeah!" 

"Ahh... The truth can be most cruel, even amongst the closest of friends. And... siblings as well. After all, one never knows the secret of another's heart. I'm sure you'll agree. Ventus... Aqua..." Her gaze shifted. "Rachel." I turned. "The Master sent me. Ven... let's go home. I have to take you back too, Rachel." "But Terra..." "Yeah, and Ryan!" "They both have important tasks ahead of them. They're not ready to leave yet." 

Ven stared at his feet sadly for a long minute. "Sorry, Aqua. But I can't go with you." "What...?" "It's just... I have to find him before it's too late!" "Ven!" "I see you, too wield a Keyblade." "How do you know about the Keyblade?" "A source of power... A key that opens the hearts of men, of entire worlds... and allows one to obtain anything and everything. Such a power I find most fascinating." "So, Terra... he really..." "Yes. Now, my dear, would you like to assist me as well?"

"...Never." "I see, Xehanort was right. You are a most stubborn girl." "Master Xehanort? How do you--" "It seems you need time to consider my offer. Fortunately, I have the perfect place." A hole opened up in the floor, and Rachel grabbed my hand, but I fell, landing on my feet. A young man was sitting on the floor, his wrists bound by chains. "Who are you?" "My name is Aqua. It looks like I was caught in a trap. Why are you here?" 

"To prevent me from breaking her evil curse. I was to meet the most beautiful girl at a cottage in the glen, but now my true love lies in an eternal slumber... and only I can break the spell." "You must really love her." 

~Rachel's POV~

I jumped down into the hole in the floor. "Aqua!" "There you are, Rachel! Listen--" "Is what you said true?" "Huh?" We turned, seeing three fairies. "Yes." A man replied. "Maleficent told me." "Oh, Prince Phillip! It's you!" She undid his chains. "Now, Phillip. The road to true love may be barred by many more dangers which you alone will have to face." "We're going with you. There's something I need to know, and Maleficent has the answer." "Yes, of course, dear. Now come along. We must hurry to Aurora."

Aqua lead us out of the dungeon, and fought Maleficent's goons along the way. Then we heard a voice. "A forest of thorns shall be your tomb... Wound 'round the castle in a bower of doom!" She appeared on the bridge, and Rachel threw an arm out in front of me. "Maleficent! What did Master Xehanort tell you?" "Such a pity, child, that you don't have Terra's gift for obedience. Nor can you see how easy it was for him." "Terra would never do anything to help you!" 

"Quite the contrary. He fully embraced the darkness within himself." "Stop lying!" She transformed into a dragon, and the three of us fought her, though it was mostly Aqua and Phillip.

She leapt back as the dragon nearly hit her, and a wall of fire blocked our path. "No!" With Phillip fighting alone, the three fairies flew in to help. "All together... Now sword of truth, fly swift and sure that evil die and good endure." With their help, Phillip defeated Maleficent. He looked around, then ran toward the entrance. 

The witch staggered, and I walked towards her. "It's the power of love that defeated you." "That's right." Aqua agreed, laying a hand on my shoulder. "I will not be defeated, by something a insignificant as love." "You don't even know the first thing about it. You're too clouded by darkness to see that there's something greater." 

~Phillip's POV~

Prince Phillip knelt beside Aurora, and kissed her on the lips. Not even a minute later, she'd opened her eyes. 

~Aqua's POV~

"Try all you want, but you'll never defeat a heart filled with light." "Perhaps... But remember one thing-- as long as there light, there will be darkness. And in time, many more will be drawn to it. Then they will all belong to me!" She disappeared, and I stood there for a minute.

Terra... You better stay strong for me.

~Rachel's POV~

Darkness isn't so great, but... 

It's the light in our hearts that cast those shadows. One can't exist without the other. 

But... maybe there's something greater than both.