Chapter five: Whispering Lies

Rachel wandered aimlessly the next day, and started thinking.

What if... our parents are out investigating the Heartless? Would we be able to find them?
Would they even recognize me?

"Hey! Who are you?"

A silver-haired boy with teal eyes walked up to her. "You shouldn't be out alone. It's dangerous." he warned.

"Y-you're-- Ri...."

The boy took a step back, "How did you...?"

"You're best friends are Sora and Kairi! You live on the Destiny Islands-- or, you did, but then you escaped. I have dreams about you every night! I just... want some answers..."

He watched in shock, as her body crumpled and she started to cry.

"...My name is Riku. Does that help at all?"

She sniffed, and wiped her eyes. "A-- a little. Thanks... I'm Rachel."

Riku pulled Rachel to her feet, and smiled at her.

"You okay?" he asked.

"Yeah. Sorry..."

"It's fine, but... why are you here?"

"This is where people go when they're worlds disappear."

The realization dawned on him. "You're world-- I-- I'm so sorry-- I had no idea... I should go. I'm probably making things worse."

Rachel giggled. She was starting to enjoy this boy's company. "It's all right." she told him. 

"No, I should really go. Maleficent might get mad if I don't meet up with her soon." 

Something about the name tugged at her memory, but she couldn't put her finger on it. 

"Why, how convenient. Thank you, child, you lead me straight to one of the Princesses." 

A woman in black, with horns and green skin appeared, and fire surrounded Rachel.

The color drained from Riku's face. "What!? No, let her go!!! Maleficent, stop!"

He summoned Soul Eater, and lunged at her as Rachel disappeared.

"You fool!"

Then his body-- now engulfed in green flames-- hit hard cobblestone, and everything went dark.

Riku groaned, and opened his eyes. He was back in his room Hollow Bastion-- but what happened?

Right, he remembered, Maleficent took me to Traverse Town. She said that Sora replaced me. But... how did I... 

He tried to sit up, but could barely move. Everything... burned for some reason, and the back of his head ached. 

And he didn't know why, but Riku got the feeling whoever had tended to him had put almost no effort. 

The door creaked open, and someone stepped inside.

"M-Maleficent... What... happened...?"

"Why, I rescued you, of course! The Heartless began to act out beyond my control and attacked you without warning, so I brought you back to the castle."

"Oh... Thanks, I guess..."

That would explain why everything hurt so bad, but... for some reason, it didn't make sense. Riku shut his eyes again. He wanted to go back to sleep, so he hoped Maleficent would take the hint and go away, which she did eventually-- to his relief.

Rachel lifted her head as someone approached. She was curled up in a cold dungeon cell, sick with worry over Riku.

"Maleficent. Where is he?!" She jumped to her feet and raced over, clinging to the bars and glowering. "And what do you want from me...?"

"There are seven Princesses of the purest heart, and you are one of them."

"I'm not a princess! Look, all I want is for you to take me to Riku."

"That boy has no memory of meeting you." there was a hint of amusement in Maleficent's voice.

"What...? What did you do to him!?"

"I cast a spell so that the last thing he remembers is... Well, that is no concern of yours, my dear."

"Don't call me that! Let us go."

"Riku has no home to return to. He is living here of his own free will, helping me find the Princesses of heart."

"...You're using him. Telling him everything he wants to hear, just so he trusts you and you can have him at your beck and call." 

Footsteps interrupted their conversation. There was a slashing sound as Maleficent fell to her knees, and the cell door unlocked with a click.

"C'mon," said Ryan. He lead her outside, but the witch caught up with them.

Rachel took a step forward, pulled her arm back, and punched Maleficent square in the face, stunning her long enough for them to escape.

That was for you, Riku.

~Traverse Town~

"What's wrong? Are you hurt?" Ryan checked her over, 

"No, but... I had a friend back there."

"Huh?"

"We met just a few hours ago, but Maleficent... She said I'm a princess, and he tried to stop her from taking me. She hurt him and made him forget."

"I'm sorry... But I'm glad your safe, at least."

"...How did you find me?"

Ryan pointed down to a beagle puppy, and Rachel knelt. 

"He came running inside," said Leon. "And lead us to the gates at the entrance." 

"Ryan... do you think we could keep him?" 

He smiled, "Sure."