| it's you... || roadtrip? |

eight
"Freaking Out on the Interstate"

Katelyn drive with no destination. She just drove and drove and drove until the roads ahead became less and less familiar. Karl kept her company the entire time as she ranted about how stupid her family was. She never did tell Karl how abusive they were towards her whether it was physically or verbally. She just ranted about the fathomable things that wouldn't trigger her or make him overly concerned.

She did rant about how her father changed. How he never defended her to her step mother. How over the years living in that household became less and less appealing to her and the other two children present, especially Eli.

She only stopped venting when she pulled over on the side of the road when the sigh read "Welcome to South Carolina". She realized where her destination was.

It wasn't towards Karl. It wasn't towards Sapnap or the airlines to go to Pennsylvania for her mother, It was to the first person who cared, the one who started all of these friendships.

Dream.

Katelyn quickly texted Dream for his address. He was confused but ultimately gave it up after making her promise on Eli's entirety that she wouldn't give it out.

Karl had stayed on the phone the entire time. He kept her company as her car directed her in the direction of Dream's apartment in Orlando. It was an eight and a half hour drive.

Karl was talking and and rambling on about different topics which calmed her anxiety to relaxed—enough—state. The longer she drove the more she felt regret for leaving Eli and not just going to Karl or someone closer.

She met Karl three days ago and didn't want to ask for his address, that'd be weird, right? Dream already knew about how abusive her parents were. How her father drove off her mother due to cheating and emotional abuse, that aspect never went unnoticed by Katelyn.

Dream was the best person to go to about this, right? He was the best option? Over her mother and everyone else? She wasn't sure how to answer that question. In the moment it was the right decision, but would it be in the long run?

After a long almost nine hours, she was finally arriving at his apartment. It was nearing 6:30 in the evening. Karl had gone to the Warehouse to film whilst keeping her on the phone for support.

One thing that piled on top of everything else: Katelyn hadn't eaten in almost a week now. No food had been in her body for seven days and she had to admit, she was feeling kind of faint as the sun set on the horizon. Her anxiety made her heart beat faster than its normal rate. Her head was spinning and her stomach just hurt at this point.

She stood up, brining her phone that held a picture of Karl in a darkened car on the screen with her towards the door.

Katelyn's eyes grew dark with the lack of sleep. Her body sagged as she walked up the three flights of stairs to his apartment. By now she'd hung up on Karl, telling him she'd update him later on her situation.

She reached the door. 309 was written on the cold metallic materialized looking door. Katelyn slid her phone from her pocket and triple checked that 309 was the right number before knocking on the door.

Three hesitant knocks sounded throughout the apartment. Confusion was evident on the man's face as he was facetiming George and Sapnap.

"Stay on the phone, i shouldnt be getting any packages or anything today." Dream said, slowly following his cat to the front door. The cat meowed loudly at the man as he approached the silver front door of his slightly large apartment.

"Who is it?" Dream asked cautiously. No reply. He looked through the peephole to see one of his best friends, slumped against the wall with a small backpack thrown lazily over her shoulder. One eye had a black and blue ring around it. Her eyes were shut, or he would see how bloodshot her eyes were. She had a red handprint on the side of her face.

He didn't hesitate to open the door, keeping his foot out so his cat wouldn't run off.

"What happened? What are you doing here?" Dream asked, drawing the girl's attention.

"I got kicked out. I needed somewhere to go. It kind of just didnt feel right going to Karl's. Driving to Texas would be too long of a drive for me. Pennsylvania is a plane ride away and just didn't sit right with me, going to my mom. I came to you instead. Can i stay here for a few days? If not i'll start my drive back home." The girl rambled. Her eyes never opened, one red flag. Her entire body was practically shaking, another red flag.

"Of course you can stay here, K." Dream sighed. He gently pushed his cat away with his foot and opened the door slightly more ajar, signaling she could enter. Katelyn opened her eyes slightly and pushed herself off the wall.

Her vision darkened as a dizzy spell hit her. The problem with this dizzy spell, is that she would later not remember it.

The girl stood up and stopped quickly, confusing Dream altogether. That is until he realized what was happening. The girl started falling backwards and Dream quickly caught her body making his door shut with a slam, as he wasn't holding it open anymore.

He picked the girl up bridal styled and carried her into the apartment. Her weight was frighteningly light. He was a rather strong man, but it was like he was carrying nothing. She was heavier than most of the objects in his household alike an empty appliance, but for her height and age this shouldn't be healthy.

Dream carried her to his room and laid her down on the bed. He pulled the covers over her body before walking towards his gaming room.

"Hey, im going to switch the call to my phone." Dream told the two men still sat arguing on the discord video call.

"Okay, is everything alright?" George asked.

"Yeah, who was at the door?" Sapnap asked.

"Katelyn drove nine hours to get here." Dream whispered. He transferred the call to his phone and walked back into the room with his airpods in. Patches was curled up next to her on the bed, already sensing something was wrong with the girl as well as taking comfort in her presence. Something the cat only did with Dream's family and none of his friends.

Inside he was raging at her hurt appearance, outside he cared about her. What the hell was he supposed to do?