| it's you... || boredom ||

tw // implied abuse
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

ten
"Counting Stars"

As the days sped by, like lightning, her and Dream grew in their friendship. She didn't plan on spending two weeks at his home, it just kind of panned out that way. He didn't let her leave until she had a set place to go back in North Carolina.

Karl offered up his home on multiple occasions, but not only did she feel guilty for taking his home, she was weary of any male presence she hadn't known for long periods of time.

Karl was a good guy. He was sweet, caring, charming. She really thought of him as a close friend, despite how little they've known one another. She just couldn't bring herself to not be weary of him.

Dream and Katelyn were streaming. She was sitting next to him as he speedran with George and Sapnap on teamspeak. Karl was on her phone, earbuds plugged in since he hadn't wanted to be on stream at the moment. He was tired and was in a not so okay mood. She promised that as soon as she got back to North Carolina she'd come see him and give him a hug.

"What?!" Dream yelled beside her in response to what George had previously said. She smiled and leaned her head on his shoulder as Karl hummed a tune in her ears.

Her phone rang; a very well memorized number appearing on her screen. She didn't hesitate to answer, leaving Karl confused on the other—now disconnected—end. She promised she'd call back, but forgot to say that prior to hanging up.

"Bub? Hello?" She asked frantically, standing up and pacing around the room. She forgot she was on stream. She forgot thousands of people could hear her worry and terror. She forgot this was out of context.

"I need help." The boy whispered. His voice was shaky. He had been crying. She didn't even need to see the boy to know he was utterly terrified. Her worry increased, but so did her pure rage for her father and step mother.

"What happened? What did they do? Are you hurt?" She worried. At this point Dream had abruptly ended the stream without even bidding a goodbye. He looked at the girl, concern plastering his face. Sapnap and George left lingering in the call to help console her after she hung up.

"It hurts, everything hurts." The boy whispered, sobbing into the phone.

"Who hurt you?" She whispered, biting her lip to hold back tears. She needed to stay strong for the boy, for her brother, for the one who made her pain worth it.

"Theresa and D-Daddy. They h-h-hurt Mags too." He sobbed. This only fueled her anger.

"Okay bub, i'll be there in a few hours. Just try to get some sleep and don't tell anyone im coming okay? I'll call mom, remember talking to mom? Yeah i'll call her and we'll fix it okay? Just go to sleep in my room and lock the door. Lock the windows too." She informed. He heard her run from his room and into hers. He locked the door and climbed onto the bed.

"Okay. I'll see you later." He said, sniffling before hanging up. Katelyn didn't move. She was stood, frozen in place.

"Katelyn..." Dream spoke softly, bringing her back in touch with reality. He laid a hand softly on her shoulder and she had flinched so hard he put his hands up to show sincerity.

"I-I-I'm sorry- im sorry- im-im sorry." She sobbed. He pulled her into a hug, his 6'3 form towering over her 5'4 form. She felt safe. She felt okay. At least for now.

"It's okay, K. I promise it's okay."

"I have to call my mom, tell her to fight for custody over him. I'll have to find somewhere to go a-a-and still find ways to keep in track of him and i just- i can't do this." She sobbed into his chest.

"Hey, you can do this. Here's whats gonna happen, alright? We are going to drive to North Carolina. We will take your brother and call your mom and take him to your mom, wherever she is. We'll get back to North Carolina and temporarily stay with Karl until we can find you a place. I'll pay for the first few months of rent until you can get back on your feet, alright? We'll get your stuff from your house and Eli's stuff and everything will be okay. You are not alone, Katelyn, you're not. I'll be here every step of the way. I'll pack up your things and you can call your mom. Once we leave you call Karl and talk to him about temporarily staying and just try to sleep while i drive. Once we get to your house we'll get Eli and his things and drive him to your moms. We'll drive back and look for apartments and housing and find what best suits you for now. Okay?" He talked slowly and assuringly, calming her down immensely.

She nodded into his chest and took a deep breath before pulling away. Katelyn texted Karl and told him she'd call back in a few minutes. The girl phoned her mother and explained the situation with Dream consoling her. Her mother was crying by the end of it but already started getting in contact with her lawyer to start a battle so she can gain custody over the boy.