Tom Riddle- Too Late

Angst:(

"Tom?", I called, he had asked me to meet him in the library but he didn't show up so I had taken to walking the halls i search of him, "Tom?". I heard some movement behind me, not steps more of a shuffling or slithering sound. Wand drawn, I turned to face whoever it was. 

Nothing. I felt absolutely nothing. I was floating in nothingness till something pulled me out. I looked around myself. I was in a small office space, next to me something covered by a white sheet but apart from that the room was empty. Unease filled me as I looked down at myself, looking straight through my translucent body. I screamed and bust out of the room, noting how I wasn't walking but floating. Light was peeking through the windows of the castle's walls but no students walked though the halls. Hogwarts was eerily empty, of course the atmosphere had been cold lately because of the attacks but never this quiet. I tried to make sense of the situation. Was this a spell gone wrong? A dream? A vision? 

"Oh Merlin!", shrieked a distressed McGonagall, "Y/n dear..."

"Professor?", I asked, my voice cracking as I floated towards her, "What happened to me?"

"You- you're- you've bee- you're a ghost.", she said, "Follow me, dear."

...

"So it's you.", I said from behind Tom who had just opened the chamber.

"Let me explain..."

"There's nothing to explain Tom!", I screamed, "I'm already dead! And you're the reason!"

"No, Y/n, I didn't mean to-"

I laughed bitterly, "I loved you Tom, but now I know who you really are. Was this your plan? Was I too much of a distraction? You lured me out of bed at night in order to kill me?"

"It wasn't meant to be you.", Tom whispered, "I loved you too."

"You don't know love.", I hissed.

...

"I suppose you think this is a good idea?", I asked Tom. He had changed, grown, he was truly a man now while I stayed forever young in a thin night dress and silk robe.

"It must be done.", he said, "I will be infinite."

"Right.", I said, my voice laced with venom and sarcasm, "And is you're little fanclub in on this?"

"Leave me alone!", he yelled throwing anything within arm's reach at me, "Leave me alone! Leave! Do you understand? LEAVE!"

...

"I suppose she deserved this?",  I asked looking down at the woman on the floor.

Tom nodded his head, running his fingers along the ridges on the locket. "She was filth.", he stated. He had changed, his skin was grey, his eyes strangely snake-like.

"Tom! When will you stop this insanity?", I shouted. 

"When I know I will never fade."

"I can't keep watching you destroy yourself.", I whispered.

"Why? I already destroyed you! Why do you still care? Why don't you just fucking leave? Why won't you hate me? ANSWER ME!", he thundered.

"Because I love you.", I whispered.

"I never loved you! You said it yourself, I'm not capable of love."

"I know you're not, but I hoped I could change you. But it's too late."

"Avada Kedavra!", he screamed and the green light hit me as I laughed bitterly through my tears.

"You can't kill what's already dead, Tom."

...

"Leave the Potters alone.", I said. Tom was unrecognisable, he didn't even look human anymore.

"Look who came back.", he drawled, "Where have you been all these years?"

"At Hogwarts.", I said, "That's where I became your first victim, remember?"

"Yes."

"Leave the Potters alone.", I said again.

"No, the boy must die.", he said.

"Tom-"

"That's not my name."

...

"What have you become, Tom?"