Welcome To Happy Harbor

~Telepathic links will be in italics.

Mount Justice; July 18th, 11:16 EDT

Raven sat, in her civilian clothes, on the couch in the lounge room of Mount Justice, a book in hands.

She concentrated on the mystery novel by A. Conan Doyle, her eyes skimming through the pages.

But then she heard a gasp.

Raven lifted her eyes from her book to see Miss Martian trying to balance different bowls, plates and spatulas in her hands.

The utensils slipped and fell from her hands, making her gasp.

Raven raised her hand, catching them mid fall, before slowly lowering them on to the table.

Miss Martian sighed in relief.

"Thanks a lot." She said smiling at the girl who had gone back to reading.

"Don't mention it."

"I was just about to make something in the kitchen."

"That's nice." Raven replied, eyes not leaving the book.

"Yeah. Wanna help?" Miss Martian asked with a smile.

Raven raised her head from her book, giving the Martian a look, and a raised brow.

Miss Martian's smile dropped.

"Oh. That's okay, you want to finish your book I presume." Raven just kept giving her a blank look.

"Right. I'll just.........take these to the kitchen.........and leave you alone with your.........book. Bye."

Raven watched as the girl left to the kitchen, taking the utensils with her.

Then she went back to her book.

After sometime, Miss Martian came back into the lounge room and sat in the chair, just across Raven.

The Martian sat, tapping her fingers on her knees, feeling awkward at the silence.

She opened her mouth several times, but then closed it at the last minute.

She didn't know what to say to the girl across her. She was nervous.

She really hoped she wouldn't say something that will anger her, and then ruin her chances of becoming friends with the other girl on the team.

Raven sighed and snapped her book shut.

"Okay, what is it?" She asked, raising her eyebrow.

Miss Martian blushed a bit in embarrassment.

"What? Why do you think......"

"You've been sitting there, filled with uncertainty and anxiety for the past few minutes."

"Oh." Miss Martian rubbed the back of her neck sheepishly. "How'd you know?"

"I could sense it. Your emotions were flying all around." Raven said, settling back into the couch, opening up her book again.

"Sense it?" Miss Martian asked again.
Raven let out a small sigh, closing her book finally, knowing she wasn't going to get anywhere with it.

"I'm an empath. I can sense and alter people's emotions."

"Wow really? That's so cool, I've met an empath before." Miss Martian said, happy to be having this conversation with Raven.

"What other powers do you have?"