Chapter 49

Levi did as he said he would and was outside the building in ten minutes. When I see him, I run straight for him with a huge grin on my face. "I got the internship!"

"Yes! That's my girl!" He shouts, catching me as I jump into his arms. He kisses my cheek and sets me down. "What did she say?"

I catch Levi up on the past two hours. I tell him every detail of the interview and even the receptionist.

"I'm so proud of you, baby." He grabs a hold of my hand, guiding me inside the car.

Levi joins me in the heated vehicle and he starts in the direction of my dorm but I quickly inform him of the dinner plans.

"I told Melanie we'd all have dinner at my parent's house...err my mom's house now, I guess. Sorry, I kind of just told her a few hours ago." I told him once I notice, remembering him saying he had plans. He swerves off to the side of the road and makes a U-turn.

"That's okay. If that's what you want, we'll do that first." He says, seriously.

I sigh, "It's not exactly what I want but I haven't seen my family in a while so it would be nice to see them. They're all meeting up there. I don't want anything too big, okay?"

"Yes, ma'am," Levi says smiling.

I slap his arm. "Oh god, don't call me ma'am."

Levi chuckles, "Sorry, gorgeous."

"Much better." I pat his knee.

This man has changed so much since when I first met him. He's not cold and forceful but sweet, funny, and considerate. He still has his moments but not like before. Not perfect but perfect for me.

"I love you." I blurt out.

He looks over to me, shocked by my outburst but soon smiles genuinely. "I love you, too."
I grab his right hand with my left and hold it tightly, lacing my finger between his. His hand is so much bigger than mine but we fit. "I hate to ask but will your father be there?"

I told Levi about my parent's separation a few weeks ago. Him being himself, he thought it was his fault. It's not. My father made the mistake of letting his gambling, as well as his drinking, get out of control and jeopardized my life and his relationship with his family. I definitely do not blame my mother for wanting a divorce. I don't know when I will be able to fully forgive my father but that doesn't mean I don't want him in my life.

"I think it's best if he doesn't come to dinner but I'll see him another time. My mother will be there and I just don't want any negative energy on my birthday, you know?"

He nods. "I understand."

"After that interview, I need the rest of the day to be stress-free."

We arrive at the house and my mom's waiting outside, wrapped in a cardigan. She walks up to the car as I get out and immediately wraps me with her sweater. "My baby is twenty-two years old! You're growing up too fast!"

"Mom, I can't breathe." She holds me tighter. "Mom...."

"Oh, oops. I just missed you so much." She released her grip and looks back to see Levi approaching. "Levi, hi."

"Good evening, Ma'am." He flashes a polite smile."

My mom waves her hand. "Oh, stop all this formal stuff. Call me, Queen."

I roll my eyes. "Mom."

"Fine, call me Ella." She chuckles.

Levi laughs and grabs my bag from my hand. "Okay."