Chapter 5

The truck stopped a few feet before the water touched the sand. We all got out and I took pulled my shorts off and my top went after. Lucas came from around from the other side of the truck in his blue swim shorts. He had this childish grin on his face that made me smile too.

"You ready?" He asks.

"Yea" I said, throwing my clothes in the back.

"Race ya!" He shouted running past me, towards the ocean.

"Hey!",I ran after to him and we both jumped into the ocean at the same time. I quickly resurfaced and he followed a few seconds after me. "I win." I said lifting my head slightly in victory.

"Oh you did, huh? Well see about that.", was all he said before I found myself being lifted and dunked into the water.

"Lucas!", water was in my nose and it felt so uncomfortable. My hand went to my nose as I tried to get the water out.

"Who won now?" His head leaned back and his hair curly hair slightly touched the water. He was laughing at my misery, that jerk.

"You're an asshole", I said laughing softly.

"A cute asshole", he winked at me.

I rolled my eyes at his comment and swam back to the beach with Lucas behind me.

Isabella and Chase were cuddling on a rock and whispering to each other. Chase was behind Isabella and she giggle at something he said and they kissed. I almost wanted to gag at the sight.

"Why would you even go to the beach in swimsuits if you weren't going to swim?", Lucas says behind me.

"Instagram." Isabella said plainly and she pulled out her phone taking a picture of her and Chase. Her lips puckered and she tilt her head, kissing him on the cheek.

I grabbed my towel and layed it on the sand, sitting down on it after. Leaning my hands behind me to keep myself up. Lucas layed his towel down next to me and sat down. We just stared at the yellow-orange sun and blue sky. I sighed, relaxing more as I exhaled. Isabella and Chase's faint voices behind us. Melanie would love this view. I miss her. I miss my family.

"Do you see your family?", I ask breaking the silence.

Lucas glances over to me for a split second. "Not really." He shrugged his shoulders.

"You miss them?"

"Can't really miss what you never had."

I turn my head to fully look at him, feeling guilty for assuming he had a family. "Oh. Lucas, I'm sorry."

"Don't be. My mom died when I was born and my Dad left when I was real little. I didn't have anymore family alive so Levi's dad was willing to adopt me. He needed a new member of the gang and apparently I fit the job. Isabella told me she knew I was the perfect for the family when she first saw me. I basically grew up with Levi and Bella, even though she's four years older than me. I guess in a way they are my family."

"Wow", I was stunned. I didn't know what to say to him. I thought Levi's gang was just about killing and they all were horrible people. That's what my mom always told me.

"When Levi's Dad died, he was made the new leader of the gang. He was so happy that day. But a week went by and he realized to be the leader of the gang he had to toughen up."

"Is that why he acts like such a dochebag all the time?" I joke.

He chuckles, "Kinda. But there are times when he doesn't have to be a viscous gang leader. He can be the rare fun Levi that everyone loves. "

We stayed at the beach for a few more hours. Isabella and Chase eventually went into the ocean and we all had fun. When it was about 3pm and it started to get a little dark, we got in the car to head back to Levi's house.

When we arrived home it was silent. We all parted ways and I went upstairs to take a shower. I pushed open the door to the bedroom to reveal it empty. I went inside the bathroom and took a hot steamy shower. I wrapped a towel around me and went out to grab some comfy clothes.

I had no other intentions of going out for the rest of the day, so I changed into a loose black strap shirt and shorts. I slipped on some grey socks and followed the sound of laughter to the basement. Isabella and Lucas were sitting on the love seat against the wall and Jenna and Levi were sitting on each side of a the long brown couch that was facing a wide TV.

Isabella is the first to acknowledge my presence. "Kara, finally! Where the hell have you been? Levi was worried about you." She smiles, pointing the drink in her hand at Levi.

"I wasn't worried!", Levi argues.

"You weren't? Then who was the one who blew up mine, Lucas's, and Chase's phone when they figured out we were with her and then told us not to tell her."

It was silent for a while and Levi's face looked like he was thinking of what to say. When he didn't sign anything for a while, Isabella started to laugh.

"Shut up, Bella. Now we know who can listen to instructions and who can't."

"Oh instructions were they?", Isabella starts laughing harder and Lucas covers his mouth to hide his amusement. Jenna doesn't even try to hide it and she laughs along with Issbella. My cheeks slightly turn pink and cross my arms together. Levi rolls his eyes pops a peice of popcorn into his mouth. I take a seat between him and Jenna.

"You came at the right time. We were just about to watch a new scary movie that just came out.", Jenna says--a smile full of excitement grows on her face.

I giggle and Lucas turns to the movie and let's his thumb linger on the 'start' button. Levi looks across me to Jenna and chuckles at her expression and his hand accidentally grazes my folded leg on the couch. I suck in a breath and keep my eyes on the screen. Jenna gets up and her hand is stuck on the light switch.

"Let the torture begin!", she smiles and the lights go out.

Levi adjust in his seat and he spreads his legs and leans back for comfort. His leg is touching my left knee.

Let the torturing begin indeed.