Chapter 38

I peel Levi's arm off from around my waist and back away once again. "What do you mean you're here to bring me home?"

"I mean exactly what I said. You shouldn't be here." he folds his arms across his chest, accentuating his large biceps.

"I'm here finishing my college year, Levi. I can't just up and leave and definitely not because you want me to." Walking away from him and back into the crowd, he grabs my arm, firmly and pulls me outside to the large front yard. "What are you doing?"

"Listen, Kara. Before, I was so focused on keeping you safe and away from the gang that I didn't realize how much I was hurting you and myself. I'm sorry. And fuck, I couldn't even stay away from you for more than a week. The last time I saw you, you were running away from me with tears pouring down your face. The same night, just minutes after you said you loved me. Do you know how happy I was to hear you finally say what you were feeling? For you to finally admit that you loved me back and that this wasn't one-sided." I don't say a word as he rants, letting out everything that he's thinking. "But I know that if you truly loved me, you would trust and believe me when I say nothing happened between Iris and I."

Levi rest his hand in mine and laces our fingers together. Neither of us says anything, just standing here together in silence. Well, besides the party music in the background.

I take a deep breath, pushing my hair out of my face with my free hand. "What was I supposed to think?" I pause. "When I saw Iris at the bottom of your stairs in only a towel, it felt as if someone had shoved a knife through my heart. I couldn't bear being in that room with the two of you for another second." I pull my hand out of his and wrap my arms around my body. "And I know we're not even together so I have no right to be upset about you doing stuff with other girls. I just..I thought there was something."

Levi tugs me against his body, holding me tighter this time. "There is something! Look, you have every right to be upset with me. I should've set everything straight with Iris months ago. I love you and it will always be you that I want. Nothing happened with Iris. Please give me a chance to explain everything."

My eyes water as I stare back at Levi. His green eyes wide and awake, awaiting me response. "fine. Okay."

He immediately tightens his grip on my waist and a smile almost spreads across his face but he refrains from fully expressing himself. "Really?

"Not here, though. We should go somewhere where there's not people throwing up ten feet away from us." He nods, silently agreeing.

I walk with Levi back to his car after finding Melanie and letting her know where I was going to be. Not that she was listening though. She was too busy grinding up on her boyfriend to fully comprehend what I was saying.

Levi opens the passenger door for me and jogs around the front of his shiny, black Dodge Challenger with dark red rims, and climbs into the driver side. We're on the road for about an hour before he pulls into an unfamiliar driveway.

The house in front of us is on the larger side but a family type of home and doesn't look like something Levi would own. A white van is parked beside us and there's a yard to the right, filled with toys and play sets. My eyes roam farther back to see a smaller house in the distance

"Where did you bring me?" I ask, turning to face him.

"Come on," is all he says before stepping out of the vehicle.

I quickly climb out and follow after him as we approach the porch. Levi knocks on the white wooden door and we wait for a few seconds before a tall, brown-skinned, bearded older man appears in the doorway. He's dressed in a white undershirt and green shorts—pajamas. I glance at Levi.