Chapter 20

His eyes are mesmerizing. Those beautiful,..captivating, forest green eyes with a dab of yellow-gold in the iris. I feel as if my eyes are being pulled into some kind of new dimension, where I'm drowning in green. My heart calms and I'm still. It grows completely quiet around us and I can hear my own heart beat.

It amazes me- and slightly angers me- how he is able to get my full attention that fast and easily. I feel my brain screaming at me to pull his hand off my face and look away. I mean he is the most known and feared gang leader in the entire state. I shouldn't be this intrigued by a gang leader that has killed people before.

The more I think about it, the more I feel myself drifting away from my new found dimension. I rest my hand on top of his hand and slowly guide it off my hand. I see something shift in his eyes and he pulls his hand back at my small gesture.

I gulp and stand from the bed. Our eyes remain in contact until his stare becomes too intense and I have to look away. My eyes shift to the door and I tuck my hair behind both ears.

"I should go make some breakfast." I suggest, deciding to break the silence.

It became sort of uncomfortable for me now that he knows who attacked me in the gym. I have no idea what he will say or do to Iris and to be honest, I'm terrified of the outcome of all this. I just hope he doesn't do anything unreasonable.

Levi nods, understandably, and stands up beside me. He walks past me and towards the bathroom, shutting the door behind him.

A breath releases from my mouth and I open the bedroom door to make my way down to the kitchen.

I stop myself when I get to the bottom of the stairs, seeing Isabella and Lucas sitting at the couch. Isabella is crying, while Lucas is hugging her, trying to comfort her.

I move closer to them and Isabella looks up from Lucas shoulder to me. Her lip quivers and she stands from the couch and walks over to me, pushing me to her chest and hugging me tight.

My first instinct is to freeze and tense up but, within seconds my shoulders, I let myself relax and allow her to hug me. Not to comfort me, but to comfort her.

"Kara, I'm so sorry." She sniffs and sobs over my shoulder. "I've been so selfish about all of this. I should've tried harder to help her with her feelings but I didn't and now she hurt you and.."

I pat her back, "I'm okay." She lifts her head from my shoulder and looks me in my eyes. "You're not a horrible person, trust me, I've seen worse. You're an amazing friend and Iris is really lucky to have you."

Isabella's breathing is calmed down and she wipes the last tear from her eye before she hugs me again. "Thanks, Kara." Isabella says, smiling and we both go to sit down beside Lucas.

"Kara, did you tell Levi what happened yet?" He asks raising his eyebrows.

I sigh and nod my head. "I did."

"And what did he say?" Isabella ask, curiously.

"He didn't tell me what he was going to do. All he said was 'it'll never happen again'." I shrugged my shoulder. "Whatever that means."

Isabella's eyes bulged out of their sockets. "What if my brother expels her from the gang?!"

"You and I both know that Levi is more reasonable than that." Lucas states.

"Lucas is right, Isabella. Levi wouldn't remove Iris just because of what she did to me. He knows she's a vital member of his gang and he won't give that up." I speak, agreeing with Lucas.

Isabella is quiet for a long time but she soon responds. "...I know. I just can't imagine what I'd do if he...if he--"

"That's not gonna happen." Lucas, interrupts.

Isabella just nods her head, looking at her hands that are placed on her lap.

"Maybe, you should go get some rest." Lucas suggests.

"Yeah...yeah ok." Isabella gets up and makes her way up the stairs and to her bedroom. My eyes following her movement until she disappears behind the corner.

I turn back to Lucas to see him sitting on the couch, slouching over.

"What did Iris say when she was here?" I asked him.

"She explained to Bella, Natalia, Jenna, and I why she hurt you." He rested his elbows on his knees and put his face in his hands. "She was insecure, angry, and frustrated all over Levi. He's been so oblivious to everything and it's been eating her up for years. When you moved into the house, we've all noticed Levi paying a lot of attention towards you. Iris noticed it too. I guess that sort of triggered her emotions and that day in the gym she just let it all out."

"Wow."Lucas' words came as a surprise to me. I never knew Iris could be such an emotional person.

"She wanted me to tell you how sorry she was and that you didn't deserve that."

My mouth was frozen shut. I had no words that could respond to what Lucas just said. I couldn't tell him that I forgive her, because then I'd be lying. She had no right to take her anger and frustration out on me and if they thought I was going to forgive her immediately, they have another thing coming.

I didn't even have to respond vocally, my emotions were openly displayed on my face. Lucas and I both shared the same look and I knew that we were both emotionally exhausted from the situation.