Chapter 44

Levi's POV

"I have to go, love. It was nice to hear your voice." I whisper before hanging up the phone, abruptly. I hate having to talk to her like that but it's what I have to do when I'm around these men.

I can't risk the chance of any of them finding out about her. I love Kara, but she's my weakness. Gang leaders shouldn't have a fucking weakness. But then again I don't want this to be my life anymore. Soon I will be able to take Kara and go some place far where no one will know me. We could live a happy and safe life together, the kind that I promised her.

I'm sitting on a chair against the wall in a dark room. The room only lit by a small light dangling from the ceiling. There's about forty men surrounding me. Less than half work for me, including Chase and Jenna who are right beside me. The others are either drug addicts or gun dealers.

Loud music is in the distance and you can hear laughter from outside the door. Even on a Tuesday, this club is full.

I got a call about a man stealing our supplies that were supposed to be shipped to me five days ago. I had no choice but to come to California myself. Not showing would put a target on my gang, it'd make us look afraid.

It took a day, unfortunately, but my men found out who's been stealing and here he is. A man that looks to be a few years older than me is trembling on the ground. His clothes ripped and lip busted. A little beaten up and his eyes tell me he's scared to death.

Motherfucker should be.

"Tell Levi what you just told me." Apollo, the man in charge of selling, demands. "¡Dilo otra vez!" (Say it again!)

I glare down at the fool, waiting for a response. An explanation for why someone could be so stupid as to steal from me. He says nothing at first. His mouth turned down into a snarl.

It isn't until I take out my pistol and slowly place it on my lap. "Tell me." Getting up from my seat, I crouch down so we're face to face. "Or would you prefer I get it over with and put a bullet in your skull right now?"

"N-no!" He shouts.

I raise my eyebrows, surprised he even has a voice. He hasn't said anything since my men brought him in the room.

He opens his mouth to say something else but I see a foot fly past me quickly and he's on the grown. My face remains apathetic as I watch him cough blood on the floor.

It flows out of his mouth and he spits a tooth out next to my shoe. "Who the fuck are you raising your voice at?" Jenna says, strongly. "Try it again."

"I'm sorry." He apologizes. "I-I needed the money. A guy promised me fifty G's to steal them. I swear if I knew they were for a gang leader, I never would have stolen them. You have to believe me."

"Where are they now?"

"I don't know. I gave them to the guy two days ago."

I decided to believe him. Obviously from looking at him, shaking beneath me, he's not strong or intelligent enough to do this alone. Whoever paid him knows that. They wouldn't give him information they knew he couldn't handle.

"Give me your hand." The man looks at me confused. "Now."

He brings his hand closer so it's within reach and I slam it to the ground and pressed my boot on top of it, easing more and more of my weight onto it until he's screaming out. "I need a name."