𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞.

THE PROLOGUE

the time before

"WE ARE GATHERED here today to celebrate the life of Hope Eileen Lupin," the rabbi rang out to the few funeral-goers. The sun was blaring, as it was the beginning of the summer and everyone sweating under that black clothes. 

In the front, stood three people. Their energies were tightly bound, each one not daring to move within a foot of each other, but none of them actually touching. The older man, Lyall Lupin was struggling to keep a brave face. He did not want to cry in front of his children, but if he was being honest ( and Lyall Lupin always was ), she was the most human part about him. And now, for him at least, Hope was lost forever. 

To his left, stood his eldest: Remus Lupin. He was in a terrible state and not just because of his mother's death. The full moon had only just ended a couple of days ago. Despite protests, he was determined to go to his mother's funeral and see her off one last time. Remus Lupin was not dealing with his mother's death well. She had always been the only one of his two parents to fully accept him for who he was and his lycanthropy. 

And finally, to Remus's left, stood Elizabeth Lupin, or Betty as nearly everyone ( except for her mother when she was angry ) called her. She stood, with a blank expression on her face and her head racing with thoughts. Her mother was her best friend ( despite the fact that Hope didn't want to be her best friend, perhaps that's why Hope claimed that title so soon ) and Betty knew that nothing would be the same, how could it?

Behind them stood three boys, all also in black, with their parents flanked behind them. Betty liked to tease Remus and call his friends his posse, as they were never seen without one another. James Potter and Sirius Black stood with their parents: Euphemia and Fleamont Potter and Peter Pettigrew stood with his parents: Enid and George Pettigrew. 

There were other family members there, littered across the field. The rabbi continued to give his sermon as the sun continued to set on Hope Lupin. Betty couldn't recall when, but about halfway through, Remus started shaking and sobbing. She reached across the treacherous space between them and grabbed his hand firmly in her own, squeezing it three times exactly. 

She had done it thoughtlessly, but both of them froze once they realized what she'd actually done. For it was Hope Lupin who took their hands and squeezed in three times exactly in moments of heartbreak and great joy, a pleasant smile always gracing her face. 

And for the first time that day, a tear slid down Betty Lupin's face. 

Remus cleared his throat, but dared not to pull his hand away. Betty stood, miserable yet stoic, reminded of how she'd never feel her mother's comforting embrace ever again.