𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞.

CHAPTER NINE

bad full moons

SHE DIDN'T HAVE to guess that this full moon was a bad one. The fact that Remus had been in the hospital wing for a week so far confirmed that for her. Obviously, she had gone to visit him on the first night ( and for some reason his friends were there, which confused her endlessly ) and she felt the pang in her stomach at the sight.

She really knew she should've gone to visit him again by now, but she just couldn't bring herself to. It hurt her with every scar that was etched into his skin — because that was her way. She felt his pain, even though she knew she'd never know what it was like.

So, that was how she found herself in the library — escaping the incoming chilly weather. She was sitting with Lily Evans — a more and more frequent occurrence since she found Lily in the loo and they had become what they were.

"Betty," someone said as they jogged up to her, making her look up from her book to see the approaching face of Kellan Forrester. He had an easy smile on his face, but sympathetic eyes nonetheless. She had never told him about Remus's condition, but with how close he grew to the family, it was an easy guess — especially for someone as intelligent as him. "Hi."

His hair was well kept, but still had that boyish ruffle to it so he didn't seem too uptight and his Ravenclaw uniform was messy — his tie loose and his shirt only half tucked it, but it looked to be on purpose, not because he'd just snogged someone. 

Betty had to avoid looking in his eyes. She could get lost in them for hours on end — not necessary because of the color or anything in them, but because they commanded you to look at them. There was a subconscious force that both begged you and forced you to look at them. 

"Hello," she said, though it sounded more like a question as her eyes flicked up momentarily, but found themselves holding his gaze — just what she didn't want to do.

"How are you?" he asked as he hesitantly approached the table, but then turned to Lily and shot her a warm smile and a nod. "Hi Lily."

"Hi Kellan," she replied with a bright smile, but challenging eyes. Everyone knew what happened between them.

"Can I sit?" he asked as he referred to the chair that was sitting opposite both girls.

Lily looked to Betty to answer, who just nodded slightly, her eyes glued to him. Kellan pulled out the chair and sat on the end, leaning over the table slightly as he looked at her intently as well.