𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐢𝐱.

CHAPTER THIRTY SIX

a lonely heart's woes

THE VALENTINE'S DAY Hogsmeade trip inched closer with every knee bounce that annoyed Betty Lupin's classmates. Valentine's Day had come in with a bang Tuesday. Peter's surprise for Aisling had secured a place in the top three when he had the the Frog Choir serenade her with "At Last" by Etta James at breakfast followed by love notes in each of her classes and fireworks after dinner. The castle held its breath, in vain, for James Potter's annual tribute to Lily Evans that usually ended with her yelling at him in a corridor. But, Peter's surprise had been so spectacular that it glossed over the murmurs. Betty was glad that Freddie had done nothing more than send her some flowers and chocolate from Hogsmeade with a sweet note.

As the week dragged on, her fingers tapped on tables and her feet wiggled below her as she tried to make reason with everything that was happening. There was something about Freddie Abbott that made sense. Like their worlds were perfectly in sync and all she had to do was uphold her end of the bargain to keep it going. All she had to do was remain excellent. Freddie Abbott and Betty Lupin made sense. So that's what she told herself as she tried to scratch down notes in class and as she moved through the corridors, avoiding everyone's eyes lest they be the two people she desperately wanted to avoid. As she entered the Great Hall in time for dinner, she immediately moved towards her friends, not stopping to think about any eyes that may have been on her. She sat down and immediately scooped cottage pie onto her plate.

"And it's going to be literally amazing. They never host parties—"

"What's going on?" Betty asked as she spooned her first mouthful.

Philippa's eyes lit up. "There's going to be a Valentine's Day party in the Ravenclaw common room." Betty raised her brow and smiled slightly. "I know."

"That's surprising. Kellan always wanted to host things, but his housemates never let him." She stuck the spoon in her mouth.

"And after your magical date with Freddie, you can show up as the hottest couple," Aisling squealed with a giggle. "It's going to be class."

"Lord you've been spending too much time with Peter!" Cece exclaimed with a giggle, making Aisling wondrously shake her head. "It's not everyday that you hear a Scot say 'class'."

"Ugh sod off. Anyway, since it's Valentine's and everything is red hot, I have the perfect coat for you to wear Betty!" Aisling squealed as she grinned across the table at her. "We can do your hair up and you'll look fab. I'm so excited!"

"Freddie'll give you a good date. Heard him talking about it in class." Philippa nodded with a smile at Betty as she reached for some sticky toffee pudding. "There's hot chocolate and book shops. Basically everything you love."