𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐰𝐨.

CHAPTER THIRTY TWO

the intermediary

TIME TICKED BY much quicker as the days on Remus's calendar neared the date of the 6th year's dueling lesson. There was a buzz in the Great Hall as the curious students wondered how much they would learn and what would be in store for the 7th years. So far, basic spells had been taught, though a few more dangerous ones were demonstrated to the 5th years. 

James chewed slowly on a piece of sausage as he listened to the conversation with the Gryffindors. His eyes flicked over to the curly brown hair at the Hufflepuff table ever so often, drawing his ears with him.

"What did you just say?" James asked once more as he looked at Remus with raised eyebrows.

"Christ, Prongs, pay attention or don't and stop interrupting," Peter jabbed with a laugh as he tore his toast. James merely stuck his tongue out at him, but then turned his gaze towards Remus again with lazy expectation in the way that his eyes hung. 

Remus rolled his own eyes, but launched back into his conversation. "So, I was saying that . . ."

But, once more, his voice faded into the background as Sirius leaned into James. "How's number 17 going?"

"What?" James asked with furrowed eyebrows as he looked over at Sirius. Confusion streaked his features as he tried to listen to Remus as well.

"New Year's Eve resolution number 17." Sirius raised an eyebrow as he looked at James.

James was still at a loss as he looked at Sirius, making him roll his eyes. "Sod off, I'm trying to listen and Moony keeps getting annoyed with me."

"He'll talked about the same thing in the library, don't worry. It's all he can talk about right now," Sirius grumbled. His eyes discreetly slid over to the Hufflepuff table. "Don't remember number 17 in the resolution list to get Evans to fall in love with you?" James shook his head, his loose curls hair shifting with him. Sirius grinned devilishly as he mustered the most authoritative voice he could. "'Be nicer to people, even if it's Snivellus or Betty Lupin'."

James shot Sirius a look and shook his head wondrously. "What does that have to do with anything?"

"Well, the soon-to-be Mrs. Diggory will be proud—"

"It's Mrs. Evans-Diggory. She said she wants to hyphenate," James corrected casually.

Sirius furrowed his eyebrows at him, but continued: "whatever, she'll be proud to know that you and Betty Lupin have become closer."