𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫.

CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR

the weary paths of rain drops

THE LATE MORNING light was effervescent as it cast itself through the long windows of the hospital wing. Long shafts of light illuminated the metal wash bins and made the vials of potions and pastes twinkle, reminiscent of stars past. Her eyelids muffled the light, making it pink to her bleary eyes until she blinked awake. Her side sleeping body ached as she pulled an arm up to rub her eyes. As the cloud dissipated from her vision, she felt her skin crawl at the smell of the rubbing alcohol. It was funny, she thought, that with all of their magic and advancement, muggle and Wizarding wards smelled the same—the same sickening stench that burned the rims of the nos and made them flare red. But, a large spray of roses masked the dutiful reminder of the last time she was in a hospital, holding a cold and limp hand. She was closed off from the rest of the ward with white curtains, the only sign of life she could make out was the screams of first and second years coming from the ajar window above her.

The white sheets fluttered with the breeze that floated in ever so often. It was crisp, making her shiver. Against the right curtain was a grey metal table with drawers, all neatly shut. The large spray of two dozen pink roses sat neatly on top with a small cream card and an elegant, cursive scrawl barely visible on it. Various boxes of sweets were stacked next to the roses as well as two other vases—one filled with a dozen red roses and the other with sunflowers. The light twinkled on the vibrant, rich yellow of the sunflowers as it caressed the petals. Cards were propped up on the table with various "get well soon" messages displayed on the front. The card that made the corner of her mouth turn up the most was a small white card with watercolor violets on it.

She saw something move out of the corner of her eyes and turned to see Remus Lupin slumbering softly in one of the blue hospital wing chairs—his back against one of the arms and his left leg draped over the other. His hair was messy and his button down was rumpled, exposing some of his chest, the silver Star of David necklace that he'd received after his Bar Mitzvah and a few white scars. Both of his converse were untied and one was nearly falling off of his left foot. His breathing was slow and he twitched ever so often, making him mumbled and shift positions slightly.

Her attention was caught once more by the curtain moving to the side to reveal Madame Pomfrey with a tentative smile and a tray. "Oh good, you're awake, dear." She shuffled forward and tapped her wand to the hospital bed, making the back raise up. Betty groaned slightly as it did and, for the first time, could see her abdomen. The blood was all cleaned off of her and the wound was sealed, but still very tender. "I have some breakfast for you, dear." She lowered the tray and charmed it, so it floated in front of Betty. Two soft boiled eggs, a piece of toast and some baked beans were on a plate accompanied by a glass of water and a small bowl of raspberries. Once Betty's breakfast was safely above her, Pomfrey cast her eyes over to Remus in the chair. "Poor dear was up all night, past when I turned the light out." Her smile turned melancholy as she looked between the siblings. "Wouldn't leave your side the whole time, not even when we were sealing your wound." She moved the new white button down shirt to the side and inspected the wound. "It's doing much better now. Mr. Snape gave us the cure after his talk with the headmaster. Surprised the wretched boy wasn't expelled."