𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭.

CHAPTER EIGHT

lily & betty

BETTY WAS IN a daze after dancing with James. For some reason she kept thinking about dancing with him. Any rational person would — they were self-proclaimed enemies for Merlin's sake!

So, two weeks later, when she was headed back to class after going to the bathroom ( but the stairs had moved again, meaning she had to take the long way ), it surprised her when she heard soft sobs coming from the bathroom.

Normally, crying in the girl's bathroom was something to be expected ( bathroom culture existed for a reason! ), but she didn't hear any comforting voices surrounding the occupant, so she mentally damned Arithmancy and turned in. 

And that's when she saw red hair curled up in it's Gryffindor uniform. It couldn't possibly be ...

"Oh, hello!" a voice piped up as Betty met emerald eyes. 

"Lily," she whispered. "What's the matter?"

"Everything's perfectly..." Lily tried to say before she hiccuped and sobbed again. "Everything's going to shit."

"I can see," Betty cooed as she knelt down next to Lily and pulled her into her arms. "You don't have to tell me anything, but I'm not leaving until you've stopped crying."

"Betty, you should go to class," Lily croaked out.

"I'm a prefect, remember?" she asked. "It's my job to take care of students who are in distress. You said so at the beginning of the year." 

Lily laughed a little at Betty repeating back to her her own words, but it was quickly dampened by tears that started to fall again. Betty rubbed Lily's back as she kissed her head. 

"Is it about Amos?" Betty asked softly, trying to find out what could possibly be wrong.

"No," she replied, firmly. "Yes? Sort of."

"What did he do?" Betty asked, slightly concerned at the thought that Amos Diggory might have done something to make Lily cry.

"That's a funny question," she deflected. "Perhaps the funniest question in the history of questions."

"Lily ..." Betty urged. "I can't fix it, if you don't tell me what's going on, but if you really don't want to, I don't blame you ... perhaps Marlene or Alice would be better suited .."