𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐰𝐨.

CHAPTER FORTY TWO

o captain, my captain

"EVERYTHING ALRIGHT, POTTER?" Frank Longbottom asked as he marched onto the quidditch pitch with the rest of the Gryffindor team. Marlene had already been out there—an hour earlier than the rest. Her hair was sticking to her forehead and her cheeks were stark red from her heart rate and the wind reigning its fiery wrath upon her. A grin was on her face as her broom descended and she ran off of it towards the group.

"Yeah, course," James replied curtly with a confused look.

"Well, mate, I mean . . . we've all been thinking it—"

"Thinking what?" James narrowed his eyes as his tone became as sharp as the wind that had streaked Marlene's cheeks.

"Nothing bad, mate, just you haven't been starting practice as early. You're almost seeming . . . reasonable."

"Yeah, well, you lot have been working hard and—"

"What's with all the late starts, James?" Marlene called as she approached him and Frank with a grin. "We have the match against Ravenclaw coming up!"

"I know! I know!" James hissed as he held his hands up. "I've just been busy with work. You can ask Sirius!"

"Ask me what?" Sirius asked, his hair was tumbling as he jogged up to them—rosy cheeked from the cold.

"I've been studying," James grumbled, flailing his arms dramatically.

"He has been spending an awful lot of time in the library. Coming back at odd times too and taking a lot of extra rounds as Head Boy." James gestured to Sirius with a smirk as he looked at Marlene and Frank.

"Told you. And besides, I'm your captain, you don't get to question me."

Marlene snorted. "I'll question you if I fucking want to." She turned towards the rest of the team. "Alright you lot, I don't fancy losing to Ravenclaw, so onto your brooms."

"Marlene!" James hissed, glaring at her, as he stepped in front of her.

She turned back around and shot him a dirty look. "You're becoming distracted, James—soft. And if you're not going to do your best, then I will."

James chuckled darkly. "Could be a Slytherin with that talk."

"And what's so bad about that?" Marlene raised an eyebrow as she pushed in front of him and kicked onto her broom. "Not all of us hate them like you do."